Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

5 Posts

December 13th, 2019 12:00

LG Ultrawide Monitor 34 inch 5k2k compatibility

Hi there,

I have  an XPS 15 7590 and I play with the idear of getting an LG uktrawide 34WK95U monitor. Does anyone know if the XPS is capable of running the higher resolution of this monitor? I was getting kind of mixed results with my online-research. The Nvidia Optimus- system of the XPS 15 means that the laptop is running external monitors through the intel interated graphics and not the dgu. As far as I know this menans that in theory, the laptop should not be able to run a higher resolution than 4k, since the intel UHD graphics wont support displayport 1.4.

But I found a thread on reddit where two guys claim that the monitor worked with their 9570 and the full 5120 x 2160 resolution/ 60Hz. So im not sure now if it indeed does work or not.

I use a WD19tb Dock.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 13th, 2019 13:00

@fzst  to my knowledge even the latest 7590 generation of the XPS 15 has all display outputs driven by the Intel GPU, with no BIOS option to have the NVIDIA GPU drive them directly as is found on some other models.  And since the CPUs in that system do not have the new "Gen 11" GPU found in the new "Ice Lake" CPUs, which are SOME but not ALL of the Core 10th Gen CPUs, the specs of their Intel GPU do indeed indicate a 4K resolution limit.  However, if you found a post that someone is using this display at its native resolution and at 60 Hz even with the earlier 9570 generation, then I suppose this could be a case of the hardware being able to run it and the specs simply underselling the actual capabilities because the specs just don't take into account "niche" resolutions like ultrawides.  If that display can be driven at its native resolution over DisplayPort 1.2 rather than requiring DisplayPort 1.3+ bandwidth levels, then my guess is that it will work even if the specs don't explicitly indicate it, especially if someone else has reported success using the previous generation XPS 15.

The only thing I wanted to caution you about here is that there are other display resolutions with 5K horizontal pixel layouts, so make sure you're not accidentally reading about someone using one of those when you're actually interested in another one.  For example, there's a "dual QHD" resolution of 5120x1440, which is a display that is literally two QHD panels fused together side by side.  That would work because if you do the math, the total pixel area of that resolution actually less than 4K (3840x2160) resolution.  And then there's "normal" 5K resolution, which is 5120x2880.  That will definitely NOT work, because that's far higher than 4K.  For that, you'd need either the new GPU found in Ice Lake CPUs or a system allowed the discrete GPU to have direct control of the display output.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 13th, 2019 14:00

@fzst  ok I just checked the specs on that display and it uses Thunderbolt 3, not DisplayPort.  That makes sense because 5120x2160 did sound quite a bit higher than regular 4K, which I knew already nearly maxed out a DisplayPort 1.2 link.  So if it weren't for you finding confirmation from somebody else that it worked, my guess would be that you'd be out of luck.  Are you sure that the other post you found involved running 5120x2160 specifically, and that it worked at 60 Hz?

But since you mentioned you'd be using the WD19TB, if it has any chance of working properly at all, make sure you plug the display into the dock's "upstream" Thunderbolt 3 port, NOT the USB-C output that's near the HDMI port.  If you decide to move forward with that display, please do post back to report whether it worked!

6 Posts

December 15th, 2019 06:00

Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but my UHD 630 drives both the screen and my Sony TV. It won't output 4K into the TV, tho, just 1080. Can't find a way of forcing it to use the GTX1650 to drive 4K thro the HDMI port. ( Or a D300 adapter) Many thanks if you can help. Apologies for the jump into this thread.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 15th, 2019 17:00

@JohnHT  since your issue involves a completely different display model, resolution, and display output connector, you should really create your own thread rather than jumping into this one.  But the XPS 15 7590 has all display outputs physically wired to the Intel GPU, so there's no way to force the NVIDIA GPU to drive it instead.  Some systems like the more recent Precision 7000 Series models have BIOS options that allow you to choose which GPU controls certain display outputs, which they can offer because they use a more complex and expensive motherboard design, but this system doesn't have that capability.  That said, the Intel GPU itself is capable of 4K 60 Hz, and the HDMI 2.0 spec that your system's HDMI port supports is also capable of 4K 60 Hz, so you shouldn't need the NVIDIA GPU involved at all.

As for the DA300, the USB-C video output that it taps into is also driven by the Intel GPU, but you wouldn't be able to run 4K 60 Hz through that adapter anyway on this system, because the DA300 only supports that when it's used with a system whose USB-C port provides at least DisplayPort 1.3 (HBR3), whereas the XPS 15 models are still limited to DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2) because that's all that the Intel GPU in that system supports.  When used with an HBR2 system, the DA300 can do either 4K 30 Hz or QHD 60 Hz.  The only way to get 4K 60 Hz out of your USB-C port is with a regular USB-C to DisplayPort or USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable/adapter, not a multi-purpose adapter like the DA300.  If you want to understand why, I wrote a detailed thread about the various operating modes of USB-C and their impact on possible display setups here.

Hopefully this helps, but again if you need to continue this topic I would suggest making a new thread.  It will allow this one to stay on topic and give your completely different question better visibility.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2019 05:00

@jphughan Thx alot for  your answer. After my research I was pretty much convinced that this monitor could not work with the Xps 15 because of the fact that the intel UHD graphics should not be able to put this much bandwith. But then I found this reddit-threat where two xps-owners claim, that they were able to drive this exact monitor with its full native resolution at 60Hz.

Im really not sure right now if I should get this monitor or not, since I wouldnt bea able to return it. I guess I will just settle for a regular 27 inch 4k monitor just to be save...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9ygbfh/connecting_lg_34wk95uw_to_xps_9570/

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 16th, 2019 07:00

@fzst  very strange.  I just looked into this more and found an older thread where someone asked about using this display with an XPS 13 9350.  I replied saying I didn't think it would be possible, but the OP of that thread linked to this thread were someone using a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 6 says that this specific display works at native resolution on that system, and that system has ONLY an Intel GPU, and a CPU that's older than yours.

Having to buy the display without being able to return it definitely complicates matters.  If I personally were in your situation, based on the two linked threads I would probably go for it.  Real-world experience is worth more than documentation in many cases, as long as the real-world reports are reliable.  Otherwise every time I looked at some lower resolution display I'd be wondering if I could have been using something better this entire time, and that wouldn't be any fun.  And I guess absolute worst case the display can be resold privately through Craigslist, eBay, etc.  Here's one other possibility: Are there any electronics stores near you that might stock this display and have a display model out that they'd allow you to test with your system?  If not, like I said if I personally were in your position I'd probably buy the display, but I can certainly see how it would be nice to have reassurance from specs!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 16th, 2019 07:00

@fzst  turns out there might be a hint as to how/why this works in the last few posts of the Lenovo thread I linked above.  Somebody mentioned they couldn't go past 4K initially, but that it started working properly after updating all drivers, firmware, etc.  But then there's a post about the fact that under Linux, the display is detected as two separate displays rather than one.  I can't find anything to positively confirm the theory I'm about to suggest, and again it's purely a theory, but it's based on what I know of how some displays work and some history with Intel GPUs.

When 4K and even higher resolution displays first came out, there were some hack-ish techniques to enable them.  For example, some very early 4K displays actually represented themselves to the system as two displays that were 1920x2160 each.  That sort of worked, but since Windows thought they were two separate displays, a lot of annoying things happened.  Dialog boxes meant to appear in the center of the display appeared in the center of one "tile", the taskbar didn't go all the way across the display, full screening a video only caused it to open full screen on half the display, etc.  This was all done because back then, there were GPUs that would happily run two 1920x2160 displays, but not a single 3840x2160 display.  These were called 4K MST displays, because they used DisplayPort MST technology to run multiple (virtual) displays over a single cable.  Later on 4K SST displays arrived, which presented as a normal 3840x2160 display.  Some displays even allowed you to toggle between these modes to provide compatibility when needed (MST) and convenience when supported (SST).

Then when 5K displays arrived (5120x2880), this sort of happened again, but with an improvement.  Since Thunderbolt 3 didn't exist yet, the only way to run 5K back then was to connect two DisplayPort interfaces.  However, by this point a standard (whose name I can't remember at the moment) was developed whereby a display could essentially use its EDID information to tell a system, "Yes, I'm connecting to you over two different interfaces, but I am really one physical display, so treat me as such."  NVIDIA and AMD GPUs supported that, so they could run these types of dual connection 5K displays as normal, but Intel GPUs didn't.  They supported DisplayPort MST, which is sort of the reverse technology in that it allows using a single DisplayPort interface to drive multiple displays, but they didn't support this technique of aggregating multiple DisplayPort interfaces to drive a single display.  Of course now Thunderbolt 3 exists, but that link actually carries two full DisplayPort 1.2 interfaces from the GPU over a single cable -- so it's essentially just wrapping those two DisplayPort cables from the early 5K displays into one physical cable, but there are still two separate outputs coming off the GPU.

I always figured that the lack of support for aggregating interfaces for a single display was related to a hardware limitation, but it seems it might have just been drivers, and it seems that limitation might have been removed recently with a driver update somewhere along the way.  The reasons I suspect drivers are:

- The posts I mentioned above, where someone mentioned that after a driver update on their system, the max resolution moved from 4K (which is the max you can run on a single DisplayPort 1.2 interface) to the display's native resolution.

- The fact that Linux is still operating differently on that system, despite the fact that the hardware is obviously the same -- but drivers obviously wouldn't be.

- The fact that recent versions of the 13" MacBook Pro, which only have an Intel GPU and obviously different drivers from Windows PCs, can run the LG UltraFine 5K display at its native resolution over Thunderbolt 3 -- and its resolution is an even higher 5120x2880.

Again, I can't absolutely confirm any of this, but it would seem to account for the information available.

No Events found!