Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

15 Posts

May 1st, 2020 01:00

Laptop (XPS 15 7590) is randomly going to sleep/shutting down while on dock

I have new Dell XPS 15 7590. I got a Dell dock WD19TB which I was using for some time. Suddenly today I started to experience strange problem. When I connect my laptop to dock, after few minutes it would go to sleep. When I then press the power button to wake it up it wakes only for few seconds and then goes to sleep again. So basically I can not use it at all while connected to dock.

Do you please have any idea what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Thank you

Matus

15 Posts

May 1st, 2020 02:00

update:
I first thought it is a problem with a dock but ruled it out by having connected macbook without any problem for over an hour.

Then I thought it is due to drivers but I used Dell Update and checked that everything is up to date.

I also tried running other system (ubuntu) and same problem is there.

It looks like it is a problem with laptop itself.

May 14th, 2020 13:00

Hi, 

I was experiencing the same problem, with the same hardware (XPS 7590 and WD19TB) after the latest BIOS update.

I was able to fix it by going into BIOS -> thunderbolt adapter configuration -> choose "security level - no security ".

Hope it helps.

4 Posts

April 7th, 2021 07:00

I am having the same issues with my XPS 9500, I know it's different, but I am going to see if that can fix the problem anyway.

4 Posts

April 7th, 2021 10:00

This seems to have worked

1 Message

October 14th, 2021 07:00

I tried the bios "thunderbolt adapter configuration -> no security " as described above and it did not work. This happened to me before and seems to be related to the computer going to sleep and being awoken by the dock. But this time I cannot figure out a pattern to restart my laptop and not keep having the dock put it back to sleep.

4 Posts

October 14th, 2021 07:00

After the behavior got worse, I ended up having to call Dell's tech support and they replaced the motherboard. This has fixed the issue, but sadly I was not able to fix the issue with a software fix.

No Events found!