Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

September 9th, 2020 16:00

M6800 RAM Issue

Hi.i have an M6800 Precision laptop work station.

With an i5-4210M processor.

Currently it has 2x4gb ram in the bottom slots

I've installed an additional 2x4gb in the top slots but the PC only sees 8gb total.

If I put 8gb in the top and remove the bottom pair, it sees 8gb but obviously shows the top slots full, bottom empty (and vice versa)

I've tried the different modules in the top and bottom and although all 4 slots are working and all ram is working, the PC will only ever see 8gb of the ram.

Is there anything I can do?

Does it just work with 2 slots ? In which case, would I need 2x8gb modules for 16gb total - would that work ?

Thanks for any advice.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

To use all four slots on this model, you need a quad-core CPU.  A dual core CPU will use only one bank (two slots), 8G/slot, 16 G max (with the quad core it's 4X8 or 32).

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

It probably shipped with a quad-core -- and somewhere along the line, someone replaced that with a dual-core.  

The four slots will work together only with a quad core CPU -- with a dual core, only two will work.

3 Posts

Thanks 

I know there is a 2 slot version, but I have the 4 slot version.

I don't understand why I would have 4 working slots but with only 2 at a time working.

Is this the same setup used for the quad core except mine only has a dual core?

3 Posts

Oh well, so I just need to either get 2x8gb and sell the 4x4gb ram cards OR swap out the processor for a quad core.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

No Events found!