Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2018 17:00

New XPS 15 9570

Thinking of buying XPS 15 9570. This laptop model does not have an optical drive. Is there room to add the bluray player/writer to the laptop or do I have to carry an external bluray drive?  Thank you, Steph-B

2.3K Posts

November 17th, 2018 17:00

With laptops getting slimmer and slimmer, you will not have room for an optical drive so you need to get an external one.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 17th, 2018 19:00

The answer above is correct.  Not only is thickness an issue, but given the size of optical discs, having an optical drive requires more than a 5" x 5" chunk of internal real estate to be carved out for it, and that's simply not a good use of space anymore given how infrequently optical media is used on average these days.  I recently bought the Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD.  It's quite a bit more expensive since it's an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive (read-only for UHD BD, but can write regular Blu-ray, including BDXL, and older formats), but I figured this would probably be the last optical drive I ever bought, so I may as well get one that supports all formats.  Looks like there's a newer BDR-XD07J-UHD now, though.

No Events found!