Highlighted

Purchasing DELL XPS 9570 with broken screen

Hey guys!

First post here, I'm looking at purchasing a used DELL XPS 9570 with these specs

i7 8750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Killer 1535 WiFi, Broken 4K Touch Screen

The pics are at the bottom of the post. The laptop is being offered to me for $300, though I'm not sure how expensive it would be to replace it, I have no problem doing the work as I've taken apart laptops and modded them for years, but I hear that you need a whole new top assembly, which is like $260, but I keep seeing the screen itself for much cheaper like here

https://bit.ly/2ygjQlq

Hoping you all might have some insight, I've done some basic research but have been extremely busy recently and haven't found anything more on it. I heard this is a 4K OLED touch screen? Which is something I'd love to have!

I'll be using this laptop for video and photo editing, running E-Commerce, Facebook Ads and similar platforms, and real estate work. Is this laptop upgradeable? If I wanted to increase storage or RAM later to like 2TB SSD and 32GB RAM? Or is it soldered onto the motherboard?

Hoping to be able to use this laptop for a long time, I'm coming for an Alienware M11x R3 with these specs and I think it's time for an upgrade.

i7 2637M, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, GT 540M 2GB, Intel Wireless AC, 1366x768 LCD

I tried adding photos of the XPS 9570 I'm being offered for $300, but my browser freezes and I have to force restart every time I try adding pictures, so here's a Drive link with some pics

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1qVYF8xgc-5UgDOycU14RSX3b2sdRP_H3

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Purchasing DELL XPS 9570 with broken screen

Before thinking you can replace just the panel, bear in mind the assembly isn't put together with screws - it's fused together with adhesive.  The chances of getting it apart without destroying -- or at least damaging -- the bezel and back cover are not high.

The system does not have soldered-in RAM or SSD.

If this truly is a complete system for that price it's quite a bargain - the system board alone is a $600 or more part.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @ejn63 thank you so much for the reply

He said it's 4K, and the touch screen stopped working, would that all be part of a new assembly? If so do you have a recommendation on where to buy? Or just eBay it.

It's been almost 10 years since I bought my M11x and I want to be sure my next laptop is a good choice, so you'd say this is a laptop worth getting?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

If the base unit is intact and working, then replacing the display assembly will take care of the issues. No one but you can answer the suitability question.  These are not workstations - and the do have issues with rapidly hitting their thermal limits (all slim/light systems do).  This is not going to stand in for a workstation -- it's a slim-light system that does have capable hardware -- but that capable hardware is limited by design compromises forced by the lightweight, slim design.  If you can live with those -- go for it.  

If you need something to run at high speed for hours on end -- that's not the XPS 15.

0 Kudos