Start a Conversation

Unsolved

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 03:00

XPS 15 9520, RAID 0 Failing to Boot Win10

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Hi There, i actually I passed through this painful process with dell support & ended up with nothing i own dell XPS 9520 the core i9 edition and i chose to replace the standard M.2 with 2 Samsung 1TB Gen4 980 PRO in raid 0 and i know the benefits & risks . i installed the 2 drives  , configured my RAID 0 array ,prepared the win10 installation & i added the intel drivers to load . But after the 1st restart of win10 installation it failed to boot error "\EFI\microsoft\boot\BCD 0xc0000225". i contacted DELL Support & to summarize the very long useless discussion with them ,they made me install windows 10 5 times and every time it failed and eventually they said this machine purchased without RAID configuration so we can't support you . put your drives as separate.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 17:00

Your manual specifications do not get very specific as to the type of M.2 slots or their exact configuration.

So, first, I will ask how your system was originally configured?  Was it to use a RAID controller or AHCI?.

You appear to be aware of the Intel SATA/PCIe driver.  On some of the motherboard situations, whether the RAID array will function or not, can get very complicated.  Perhaps, that system is not set up for it to work that way.

You have gone through your install process with just the one drives, and it works normally? 

September 24th, 2022 03:00

Hi Saltgrass,

my machine is XPS 9520 and when i purchased it was configured to use single M.2 NVME disk i replaced it with 2 samsung 980PRO drives to create the raid 0 array. The Array CreationThe Array CreationWindows Error after first restartWindows Error after first restart

September 24th, 2022 03:00

one more thing, yes the system originally configured as Intel RAID with single drive

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2022 12:00

Sorry, but you are making this way too hard.

The NVMe-SSD in the XPS-15 (9520) was plenty fast the way it was. I think it is even 4x4 .

Trying the RAID-0 is just asking for trouble. If you wanted bigger, you can upgrade it (but personally, I would have just bought it that way). Plus, you can just use the whole space of the second SSD as D-Drive.

September 24th, 2022 15:00

@Tesla1856 RAID 1 worked fine BTW . the issue in RAID 0

September 24th, 2022 15:00

Hi Tesla,

I'm know for sure the speed of single drive  m.2 NVME , RAID drive & all that stuff . eventually when dell support failed to resolve & failed to convince me about the issue and I found out i had wasted long time so eventually unfortunately I had to use the setup as you mentioned. I deleted the RIAD 0 array and used the second drive as D . but it's still a big question mark what happened and why it happens to dell & other manufacturing do that seamless. anyhow it's just another 3 years before i change this laptop which i question myself if i would buy this series for the 3rd time or not.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2022 17:00

@Sherif.Ahmed wrote:

I'm know for sure the speed of single drive  m.2 NVME , RAID drive & all that stuff . eventually when dell support failed to resolve & failed to convince me about the issue and I found out i had wasted long time so eventually unfortunately I had to use the setup as you mentioned.

I deleted the RIAD 0 array and used the second drive as D .

It's just that RAID-0 is such a precarious setup (to begin with), not to mention this is not a server.

I checked my notes. I'm getting this on my XPS-15 (9520).

Crystal DiskMark - Samsung PM9A1 512gb NVMe SSD speed = 6874=R/W=5022 .
Cold-Boots to fully-loaded and usable Windows-11 Desktop in under 15 seconds.

So, it is 4x4 and crazy fast already. There is just no need for RAID-0.
Plus, you can have a whole other D-Drive, and I'm pretty sure it's capable of 4x4 interface/speed also.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2022 17:00

@Sherif.Ahmed wrote:

@Tesla1856 RAID 1 worked fine BTW . the issue in RAID 0

Well good. But as we know, that is about redundancy (not performance). It's basically just a constant real-time copy or disk-duplication.

However, it won't save you from a Ransomware attack (or even fire/theft). But daily Imaging to a file-set (like with Macrium Reflect)  will. And conceivably, you could take a (monthly) Full Backup offsite or put in the cloud. Now, that's some good protection.

1 Message

September 5th, 2023 08:20

I also encountered this problem and fault display. It's a pity that they have no way to deal with it and solve it.
No Events found!