Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2018 18:00

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on XPS 13 9343 not working

My XPS 13 originally shipped with Windows 8.1 Home. I upgraded to WIndows 8.1 Pro with a product key. I then migrated to Windows 10 Pro via the free upgrade route.

Recently, I was having problems booting into Windows so I decided to do a clean OS reinstall. First I tried doing it via the installation media tool from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10). This only gave me Windows 10 Home.

Then I tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 Home using Dell's OS Recovery Tool, upgrading to 8.1 Pro with my product key, and then using the Microsoft installation media tool. The MS tool failed because it couldn't install that edition of Windows.

I've retried both routes a number of times, with no luck.

I never had any such problems with previous reinstallation attempts.

What do I need to get Windows 10 Pro back on my machine?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

November 20th, 2018 04:00

I am not sure if you tried the following. I suspect that since you originally had 8.1 Home, that is the key linked to your BIOS. Should be the Pro update but with Windows 10 who know. So again, have you installed Windows 10 Home then used the following procedure to update to Pro?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

This sentence from MS should apply to your system.

If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, select Go to Microsoft Store and you'll be prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2018 15:00

TLDR: Solution is to click on the "Buy a license for Windows 10" link in Start | Settings | Update & security | Activation even though you're only restoring your upgrade.

I went to Start | Settings | Update & security | Activation. The user interface offered me the choice of entering my license code, or going to the Microsoft Store to buy a license.

Even though I did not need to buy a license, nothing has been working so I clicked on the link. At that point I was prompted to save my work so that upgrading could proceed.

The upgrade proceeded and now I am left with ... Windows 10 Enterprise? Not going to complain about the upgrade to my upgrade but this situation is bizarre.

Previously I had gone directly to the Microsoft Store and logged in to dig around looking for a way to upgrade back to Pro.

Thanks for the solution @JOcean. Maybe MS could make the UI a bit more clear that the link is to restore your edition of Pro / Enterprise / whatever OR buy a license?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

Did you activate the system with a Microsoft account (hotmail, outlook, etc.)?  If so, log in there and you should see the system listed.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

Thank you for your message. The image for Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 Pro is the same, once the OS is installed the system activates the right OS with the product key which is digitally mapped.

If you have the activation key with you, you can upgrade from the Microsoft store.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

3 Posts

That's the problem: It's supposed to be a digital entitlement, but when it activates, it does not activate as Windows 10 Pro, it activates as 10 Home. I don't have a physical product key, so I cannot go that route unfortunately; I really wish that I did.

No Events found!