Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

November 26th, 2019 01:00

Slow Performance - XPS 15 7590 (i9, 32GB, 1TB)

I'm using my Dell XPS 15 7590 for about a month and since the beginning, the performance was just "okay".

The laptop I have been using before the XPS was Asus Zenbook 15 (i7 8th gen, 16GB, 512GB) and in such a weird way that laptop was much faster at booting up and at doing regular tasks.

I am using Windows Update and  SupportAssist for updating the software, right now got one update that keeps failing which is the SSD firmware update.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

I would like to investigate deeper into the performance of the laptop and understand why it runs like that.

I would like to emphasize again that the performance is notably slow, every person that observes the laptop asks why it runs like that.

Help would be appreciated, let me know if you need any other details.

14 Posts

November 26th, 2019 03:00

I read that this model suffers from thermal issues so gpu and cpu are throttled.

GPU throttling is solved in latest BIOS update 1.2.3, and for CPU only solution I've seen is undervolting using Intel XTU tool. Google it, lots on it

Seems a bit extreme for a top laptop..but the old chassis design has reached its thermal limits, negating benefits of the latest and greatest CPUs

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community   

Create a new folder on your desktop named “Firmware Update”

Then download your SSD update.

Toshiba Solid-state Drive Firmware Update for KXG60ZNV256G / KXG60ZNV512G / KXG60ZNV1T02

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7ry97&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-7590-laptop

Copy the update to that folder you just created.

Close all Windows and Apps you may have open.

Go to the folder and right click on the update file and “Run as Administrator”

Best regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@ShaharZwick there are many possibilities, both hardware and software, that could be causing performance issues.

To get a greater understanding, can you help me out with the following details :-

a) Can you define exactly how the system is slow i. opening applications, browsing the internet, frequently hangs, delays in typing etc
b) Does the slowness occur when the laptop is plugged in or on battery?
c) Is the system running hot at all?
d) Have you set the system to maximum performance when it is plugged in?
e) Have you set up the dedicated graphics cards to use each application?
f) Are you running the latest drivers and BIOS apart from the firmware update that wont install?
g) Do you get any on screen error messages or bluescreens during use?
h) Has the system run slow since you set it up?

Can you manually install the SSD firmware and let me know if it improves the performance - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7ry97&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-7590-laptop

The details indicate Improved the performance of the solid-state drive (SSD) on new processors.

Alan

November 26th, 2019 05:00

Thanks for the advice @jedpause.

Undervolted the CPU using ThrottleStop, already seeing better temperatures.

November 26th, 2019 05:00

Thanks for the reply @Dell-Alan D.

a) Booting up, opening explorer and applications, hangs, delays and during video playback on the internet. Pretty much all of what you mentioned.

b) Both, but I mainly run the laptop plugged in.

c) It would get very hot quickly, I undervolted the CPU (Core and cache) as shown in the attached image and it still gets hot (less though):

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

d) True, maximum performance when plugged in, in addition - Dell Power Management is set as shown below:

clipboard_image_4.png

e) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 is the preferred graphics card for all the applications.

f) Yes, got all drivers updated (including SSD firmware), here's a Dell Update screenshot:

clipboard_image_3.png

g) I've had a few bluescreens during use and during restarts. Although since November Windows Update it stopped occurring.

h) As I said, mainly yes. It's notably slow compared to other systems with lower specifications.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 26th, 2019 06:00

@ShaharZwick those temperatures look normal therefore I don't believe the system is overheating.

I would always recommend running the system on Maximum Performance rather than balanced and see if that makes any difference.

When you use this system and you mention it becoming hot quickly, where were you using the system?

I would recommend running the stress test online and seeing if any errors are returned - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-7590-laptop/diagnose

If the system has been bluescreening and running slow from when you got the system that would suggest to me that the problem is with Windows itself. Have you tried a Windows refresh or rest on the system - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en

You have compared the laptop to others with lower specs, have you compared your results to others with identical XPS systems?

Alan

November 27th, 2019 05:00

@DELL-Jesse L Sadly, I do not know other people with the XPS as mine to compare with.

The closest and most detailed review that I found online is: NotebookCheck Dell XPS 7590 Review 

Support directly from Dell or someone with the same system here in the community would be appreciated.

As of right now, I don't know what else to do. I hope the subject will be addressed by Dell for future support and updates to this model which lacks performance.

• 

16.7K Posts

ShaharZwick,

Thank you for the update. Are you planning on comparing the system to other XPS systems?

Thanks again @Dell-Alan D, here are some more details:
I am running the system on Maximum Performance, temperatures went up to 80 degrees minimum when idle (Chrome opened):

clipboard_image_0.png

Ran a full stress test and got no failures.

Unfortunately, I haven't compared my laptop performance to other identical XPS systems.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 27th, 2019 06:00

ShaharZwick,

I have not heard of any updates as of yet. Keep checking back on the dell support site for them. Hopefully, soon they will have some to address performance issues. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 27th, 2019 06:00

@ShaharZwick those temperatures are consistent with an i9 proc in an ultrabook chassis.

As no hardware issues are being detected, that leaves software and OS troubleshooting. As per my previous message If the system has been bluescreening and running slow from when you got the system that would suggest to me that the problem is with Windows itself. Have you tried a Windows refresh or rest on the system

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en

Alan

January 14th, 2020 11:00

I think that people are misled when they think they tweak the CPU voltage.

I think it is simply a problem related to the intel driver. 

Go to device manager > go to the system devices > click on a device and click on update. 

Repeat it with everything you can. 

Unfortunately the dell update application does not cover all updates...

Sans titre.png

1 Message

January 20th, 2020 04:00

Hi

I have the same machine Dell XPS 7590 Core I7 Gen 9 32GB ram.

The same problems you have i have.

tried everything.

Luckily my machine will be refunded. 

it is a shame never had a dell Before and love the look of the laptop so bought it

Cudos to Dell support they have been great but the laptop not so great.

14 Posts

February 6th, 2020 06:00

Be aware not all 7590s have Toshiba SSD's (NVME).

It might be failing because it has the Micron or Samsung SSD. Mine had the Micron, and was changed to a Toshiba after a engineer fix.

And yes, mine heats up and throttles all over the place... having new thermal paste and using Intel XTU and -125mV offset has helped a lot, but it is still not optimized to used the full steam of the CPU because of heat... I also use a twin-fan laptop tray which helps a lot during video editing work to cool it down.

No Events found!