Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

January 24th, 2019 08:00

Studio XPS 15 (1640) memory upgrade issue

I hope someone here can help me because I have exhausted all my knowledge!

I recently tried to update the RAM in my Dell xps 15 1640 laptop.  Per the manual I bought DDR3 1066 memory...2 (4GB) sticks to equal 8GB.  I took out the old 4 GB of memory and popped in the new memory, making sure that I did not damage the pins or holders.  I put in the New sticks of RAM.  Made sure the clips secured them well.  Put the laptop back together, turned it on and now have the Black Screen of Death.  Laptop is running, all lights on keyboard are lit up but no screen.  I am running Windows 10 on a 64 bit system.

I have tried resetting the bios battery by taking it out and replacing it after 10 minutes.  I have tried turning the computer off and holding the power button to get rid of all stored power.  I have tried putting the OLD memory back in and I STILL get Black SOD!

Help.  anyone have any suggestions?

Thx

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 24th, 2019 09:00

The following forum posts may help. That is a rather old system and instead of reinstalling the old CMOS battery buy a new one. Now before you insert the new battery wait 15 minutes after taking out the old one. In order to reset the system follow this procedure. Disconnect the laptop battery and unplug the adapter. Now press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Now reconnect everything and try again. Are you hearing any beeps or have a flashing light sequence?

Try connecting an external monitor and see if you get a display.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Upgrade-Studio-XPS-1640-to-8GB-Ram/td-p/6046938

Also

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-Studio-xps-1640-black-screen-but-keyboard-lights-up/td-p/4107547

January 25th, 2019 15:00

Thank you for your reply!  I plugged the laptop up to my external monitor via a HDMI cord and it worked fine.  Dell logo came up and the computer booted up fine.  So does this mean that the video card is fine but the backlight is shot?

I will buy a new CMOS battery but could you tell me what else I need to get or is too soon to assume it is the backlight?

Thx

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 25th, 2019 15:00

If an external monitor works fine, then you have to assume that the GPU on the motherboard is fine. A CMOS battery might help but now I am starting to think that the LCD screen is having trouble. When you have no display on the laptop, does it look like a very dim display but if you shine a flashlight on the display you are able to see a display of some sort? If so then the LCD inverter could be bad. Try running a diagnostic test on the system with the external monitor connected. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run a full diagnostic test. Watch for any LCD errors.

January 25th, 2019 16:00

Thank you.  I will do that and let you know what I find!!

January 28th, 2019 06:00

I ran the full diagnostic and EVERYTHING passed!  No LCD issues, no memory issues.  I even asked it to recheck the LCD and targeted the troubleshooter for BSOD (there was no Black SOD).  All came back fine.

I am at a loss.  Could I have knocked something lose and if I have wouldn't it STILL pick it up??

I don't understand how everything could be fine when plugged up to external but without it a have a Black screen.  I even checked the brightness to make sure it was all the way up.  No go.

No Events found!