Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

November 27th, 2018 19:00

Swelling XPS 15 9950 Battery

So it seems like I also have a #mylaptoptoo moment where my XPS 15 9550 Battery has swollen, it seems the offshore customer support pretty much said I'm out of pocket on the repair, I gradually noticed my touchpad was lifted. I've only used the PC on a glass desk so it can't really be the heat causing it. What's the chance after I buy a replacement battery out of pocket it will swell again?

Will Dell eventually provide a replacement battery as I noticed others are having the same issue?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

November 28th, 2018 04:00

I am not sure you read the following post. The battery is covered under your 1 year whole system warranty. But read the moderator's comments. I would guess that sending a message to the moderator, as suggested in the post, may help with the battery problem. Could it happen again...certainly though I believe the batteries in question were from a specific batch. In the meantime remove the battery from the system. It is a safety hazard and at the least will damage your system beyond repair.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Swelling-XPS-15-9550-batteries/td-p/5180839

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

November 28th, 2018 07:00

Did you get an email from Dell about 10 months ago offering to replace the battery (like this one)?  Might be worth looking for.

As suggested in the copy of the email above, you might try entering your laptop's Service Tag at https://www.dellproduct.com/ to see if you're eligible for a battery replacement.  Additionally, if that doesn't work, you could try emailing dell_quality_ww@dell.com as suggested in the copy of the email.

They may not offer to replace it, but might be worth a try...

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

November 28th, 2018 08:00

You'll find the replacement program has ended -- just about all of these are now at or over the two year mark now.  And yes, many of these case-free batteries do swell at end of life.

The single worst thing to do with them is to leave the system plugged into AC power all the time.  

No Events found!