Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2019 16:00

TB16, compatiblewith VESA VRR?

I am using a TB16 dock with XPS13 7390 2in1 laptap. There is an option in the gfx control panel called VESA VRR which is newly supported in intel's gen 11 gfx(1065G7). Basically it's FreeSync's offical name in DP protocol, which helps prevent tearing. It worked well when I used my DA300 to connect the monitor and my XPS. But when I used a TB16 dock the screen just turned black every time in game when VRR takes effect.

So I wonder if is TB16 compatiblewith VESA VRR or is just the TB3 protocol compatiblewith VESA VRR so far (for the last one I cannot gather useful information, hope anyone can help).

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 30th, 2019 18:00

@Gnyueh  the TB3 protocol is basically a multiplexed wrapper for DisplayPort and PCI Express, so it wouldn’t impose limitations of its own on features like this. As for the TB16, based on your tests it sounds pretty clear that it doesn’t support VRR. I’m actually surprised the DA300 does, although it also supports DisplayPort 1.3 on the USB-C input side whereas the TB16 is DisplayPort 1.2. On that note, the TB16 was replaced a while ago by the WD19TB, which supports DisplayPort 1.4 on both the input and output sides. That admittedly doesn’t make as much of a difference in terms of possible display setups for Thunderbolt scenarios as it does for non-Thunderbolt scenarios (the WD19TB is backward compatible with regular USB-C systems), and I don’t know if the WD19TB supports VRR either, but if the feature is important to you, it might be worth testing even if you end up returning it if it doesn’t support VRR. The WD19TB also doesn’t seem to be generating anywhere near the number of complaints and issues that the TB16 did, but even there if the TB16 is working for you and the WD19TB ends up not adding anything you want, then no reason not to stick with the TB16. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 31st, 2019 07:00

@Gnyueh  unfortunately I don't have regular access to a TB16 and never checked UASP support while I was using one.  Sorry!  I was actually surprised that the TB16 required its own USB 3.0 driver even on Windows 8 and above where USB 3.0 is natively supported and therefore USB 3.0 hubs built into systems don't require any additional drivers, so that might account for the difference.

12 Posts

December 30th, 2019 19:00

There is also a whole bunch of small issues such as UASP support and firmware update failure with this TB16, but after all it's basically functioning and I am not going to replace it. For VRR issue I think we actually talked about this a few months earlier in this post https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Questions-about-A-V-outputs-with-DA300-and-xps13-7390-2in1/m-p/7398553#M36544,it seems it work as a retimer for DP protocol so VRR doesn't matter much, while for TB3 to DP transition chip inside TB16 it will cause problem.

So I am using DA300 to connect the monitor.

(The failure of 10bit output in this post turned out to be intel iGfx's fault)

Also, do u have idea onUASP support of TB16, the chip(ASM1042) in it seems to support UASP but driver dell provided doesn't support it, somebody forces Windows' default driver and enabled UASP somehow (4k64 performance imporves a lot though maximum speed remains at 300MB(BoT level) and it‘s unstable).

No Events found!