Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2023 14:00

TB16 problems with wired network connection (I think)

XPS 15 9570

XPS 15 9570

My configuration includes a TB16 docking station. Last year my original TB16 died so the nice folks at Dell sent me a new one. During the first few months on operation, it appeared the wired connection my network and the internet was not working. Only the WiFi was connecting the laptop to the network and the internet. Since this was basically a new install, I am assuming I updated the TB16 FW. Not sure how to check to see if I have the most current.

A few days ago, it appeared as though the wired connection was working. This was indicated by the networking icon in the toolbar. It was the World Globe icon rather than the WiFi icon. When I am on the TB16 configuration, my network connection appears to operate more like a dial-up modem rather than my Gig service. When in laptop mode, I am getting the performance I expected from my Gig service. 

Not sure where to start from a troubleshooting standpoint. I was thinking of starting a Chat session with the Dell techs, but that is probably only possible in laptop mode. Not sure if they could do a remote session that would help when I am not connected to the TB16.

Any advice will be much appreciated. 

13 Posts

January 18th, 2023 12:00

It has been about 48 hours since I installed some new cables in the configuration. I do need to work on the cable management issue some time. 

To make a long story short. SUCCESS!!

Thanks for all your help and insights. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 12th, 2023 15:00

There are all sorts of drivers for different components and firmware updates.  This might apply to both the dock and your system, so make you have those.

A globe means you are not connected to a network.  It should show the icon for that whenever you are connected.

It looks like 1.0.5 is the latest firmware and you should be able to see that on one of the dock windows.  

If you need something specific, I have the dock and could check it for drivers and where to look for those.

It does not seem to have any Win 11 drivers.  But the Win 10 ones will probably work fine.

Support for Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

13 Posts

January 13th, 2023 10:00

Thanks for the feedback. I actually entered my original post slightly incorrect. I referenced the Globe when it really was not the Globe when I was connected via the wired connection. I did verify when on the TB16 through Network Settings I was supposedly accessing the internet via my wired connection and when in laptop mode via the WiFi connection. 

It appears all my drivers are up to date. However, when I look at my hardware configuration via Settings it appears as though I have multiple network adapters. Not sure if whenever I updated drivers if a new new network adapter was created and an old one not deleted. 

OK - now I need to get by the I am Not a Robot verification. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2023 06:00

Attaching pictures sometimes can sometimes help explain what you are seeing.  

I'll set my system up later and get a picture of my Device Manager showing network devices with the DOC plugged in.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2023 08:00

this is what my system shows in the device manager.  The Ethernet is plugged into the TB16.

Saltgrass_0-1673715071378.png

13 Posts

January 14th, 2023 13:00

Thanks. That really helps a lot. That is what has been bothering me for awhile. I have 4 instances of TAP-Windows Adapter V9, but not the Realtek USB GbE Controller, which is listed in the Driver pages as the Dock Ethernet driver. I have the downloaded the Realtek USB GbE Controller Driver, the TB 16 Controller Driver, and the TB 16 firmware updates. I will probably fire up a college BB on TV and start the process. The WAN Miniport references match yours. 

I will go into the Apps section of Settings and delete the Realtek GbE driver and the TB 16 driver, then start somewhat fresh 

13 Posts

January 14th, 2023 14:00

I figured out the TAP Windows adapters are for the VPN I use. The Realtek controller shows up in the Device Manager this time. I had to use the TB16 Driver from Intel rather than Dell. 

I completed all the updates. Results are the same Dial-up speed when using the wired connection

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 15th, 2023 06:00

When I was refreshing my install, Win 10 added the Realtek driver so I did not have to.

I don't use VPN so is it involved in your normal Ethernet connection?

I think the Dock has two LEDs next to the Ethernet port.  Have you noticed what color they are?

My system is older, maybe some Windows update is affecting your situation. I am not sure what else I might look at to provide information but I will set it up and watch it again today.  I will assume, if you check your Ethernet connection properties in Windows, it is also showing a slow link speed?

13 Posts

January 15th, 2023 14:00

Yes - I used VPN all the time. No problem when in wireless mode (or what I like to call laptop mode).

There are 2 LEDs. One is Orange - constant; one is Yellow Flashing.

I am currently on the Dock. Even though I am on the Dock, wireless is in control. When I go down to the tool bar it says the wireless has internet access. Then it did say Unknown Network with no internet access. Now if says for both my network name. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 15th, 2023 15:00

My lights are the same.  The link speed in Windows, network properties shows 1GBs\1GBs.  If your link speed is correct then something must be controlling your speed.  

You might try a different Ethernet cable and make sure it snaps in.  My wireless stops while the DOC is plugged in, just as it done a normal system with an Ethernet port.  If it doesn't work, possibly the drivers are not allowing the normal communications.

If you run the Thunderbolt DellDockingStationFWSetup, it should show what drivers and firmware the Dock is using.

Just in case, you are plugging the Dock into the Thunderbolt port on the system?  On my older XPS 9365 2-in-1, it is on the left side.  It is an older Dock.

If you happen to have SmartByte running, it may be managing your speeds.  I am not sure it works on Ethernet and Wi-fi.  Although, it appears the communications between the Dock and the system are not working well.

13 Posts

January 16th, 2023 11:00

Thanks a bunch. Who who have thought a low tech answer would be a solution to what appeared to be a high tech problem. I changed out the Ethernet cable from the router to the network distribution hub for the house. I did not change the cable from the wall outlet in the study to my docking station. Forgot, but probably really too lazy. It appears that everything is working now. Wireless is turned off and wired connection is in control. Of course, this is a sample size of one, but very hopeful. I will see if it continues with more Shut Downs and Power Ups. 

I have to do something similar to my Home Automation controller, that was functioning perfectly, visible to my laptop. 

This problem has been tormenting me for awhile, but wireless was in control so I did not care since I had the speed. 

Thanks

No Events found!