Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2020 07:00

Trouble with the NVIDIA on XPS 15 L502X

I've had this problem for some time now,

I have the NVIDIA Geforce GT525M graphics card,

Recently when playing some games while using this graphics card the laptop just freezes and does a buzzing noise.

This doesn't happen when using the Integrated Intel Graphics.

Sometimes it freezes as soon as you're ingame, sometimes you can play for a short period of time before it freezes.

I've tried many solutions but none have worked,

-Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers

- Opened the laptop and cleaned it

- Checked for Diagnostics but no problem is shown etc.

I am 100% sure the problem is in the NVIDIA High Performance Processor.

I've seen some solutions saying to change the Clocking values but I can't seem to be able to do that. I tried in the Nvidia Control Panel and I couldn't do it, I tried to do it in the BIOS but I can't seem to access BIOS at all. 

Any solutions are welcome, and also if you need extra information I'll try to provide it.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 24th, 2020 08:00

There isn't going to be anything in the system setup that will help.

If the system works well with the integrated GPU but not with the discrete one and you've tried cleaning and reinstalling the drivers, the GPU is likely on its way out.

Unfortunately, the only way to replace the GPU is to replace the system board, and any board you install will be of the same vintage as the current one - that is, about ten years old.  The the boards are available used but still run over $150 to over $200 -- you may want to consider keeping the system for backup duty and replace it with a new notebook.

No Events found!