Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2019 03:00

U2719DC, XPS 15-9550, USB Type-C not working

Hi!

I have an XPS 15-9550 with Windows 10 (1809), the last BIOS version (1.9.0) and a U2719DC. I'd like to use the USB Type-C cable provided to display my laptop. But I have a message saying "No USB type-C signal from your device". When I'm using a DA-300 connector, it's OK:

XPS 15-9550 USB Type-C out port --> DA300 --> DP --> Monitor

So there is a video signal transmitted from my laptop's USB Type-C out port. Do you have any idea of how to display something using only the USB Type-C cable provided with the U2719DC? I installed all drivers, the Dell DDM, reset to factory settings, run the BID, but nothing work.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 18th, 2019 10:00

@srknbdr  a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter should absolutely work and give you 4K 60 Hz.  A USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable should also work, but if your display has both a DP and HDMI port open, I always prefer USB-C to DisplayPort simply because a USB-C port provides a native DisplayPort signal anyway.  That means that a USB-C to HDMI cable needs to incorporate a chip to convert that signal to HDMI, which is often additional cost and always additional complexity.

I don't think you'll run into the problem described in the KB because several users have confirmed that both the XPS 15 9550 and the XPS 13 9350 (the subject of the KB) work fine using USB-C to DisplayPort cables, even when used with the Dell USB-C displays.  The only problem case seems to be when ALL of these conditions are met:

- Using an XPS 13 9350 (or apparently XPS 15 9550)
- Using at least certain Dell displays that have a USB-C input
- Connecting that system to that display using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable

If you change any one of those variables, things are fine.  As examples, all of these setups are known to work properly:

- Using one of those systems with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, even when connecting to an otherwise problematic Dell USB-C display
- Using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable to connect one of those systems to some other display that has a native USB-C input.
- Using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable to connect a DIFFERENT type of system to the USB-C input of an otherwise problematic Dell USB-C display.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 15th, 2019 06:00

* When did you purchase this U2719DC?
* From whom did you purchase this U2719DC?
* Click my name and private message me the U2719DC service tag number and 20 digit serial number

* U2719DC is off
* XPS 15-9550 is on, AC power adapter attached to it, lid is open, you can see the Windows desktop

* Connect like this =
XPS 15-9550 left side TB3/USB Type-C out port --> U2719DC USB Type-C cable (C to C) --> U2719DC USB Type-C in port
* Turn the U2719DC on
* Press the U2719DC #2 Input Source button
* Check USB Type-C
* Exit the Menu
* Open the XPS 15-9550 Display settings and Extend to the U2719DC

6 Posts

February 15th, 2019 11:00

Hi, I sent you the information you asked in private message. The screen is not listed in the device manager when connected only with USB-C cable (C to C).

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 15th, 2019 14:00

* So this works to get 2560x1440 60Hz?
XPS 15-9550 left side TB3/USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C cable DA300 USB Type-C --> DP to DP cable --> U2719DC DP in port

* When connecting like this, did you then press FN+F8 to switch to the U2719DC?
XPS 15-9550 left side TB3/USB Type-C out port --> U2719DC USB Type-C cable (C to C) --> U2719DC USB Type-C in port

6 Posts

February 17th, 2019 02:00

So this works to get 2560x1440 60Hz?
XPS 15-9550 left side TB3/USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C cable DA300 USB Type-C --> DP to DP cable --> U2719DC DP in port

Yes

* When connecting like this, did you then press FN+F8 to switch to the U2719DC?

Yes, I only have this message : "No USB type-C signal from your device"

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 17th, 2019 12:00

I do not think that the new U2719DC USB Type-C in port is faulty. But you do not have any other devices there with USB Type-C out port to test on.

Moving this thread to the XPS Laptops board in hopes that other XPS 15-9550 can add their thoughts, troubleshooting, etc.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 17th, 2019 15:00

Actually, one basic question in addition to the possibility I suggested above: What type of USB-C cable are you using? The cheap USB-C cables only have wiring for the pins that carry USB 2.0 and power because those cables are meant for charging devices and/or simpler data transfer use cases. To carry video, you need a USB-C cable that supports at least USB 3.1 Gen 1, since that means the cable has wiring for the pins that make up the four high speed lanes, which can be used for carrying either USB 3.1 data or video.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 17th, 2019 15:00

This exact behavior was reported by several users across 3 separate threads here about the XPS 13 9350, which is the generational sibling of the XPS 15 9550. Dell eventually issued a KB about it, which basically said that that system and certain Dell USB-C displays didn’t work together when using the USB-C input on those displays, and that Dell had no intention of fixing it. They did not even identify the underlying problem. Link: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln314862/xps-13-9350-no-video-with-dell-type-c-monitors?lang=en

So yes, video output from the USB-C port works, and the USB-C video input on those Dell displays works (with other devices as the video source), but the specific combination of that system and the USB-C input on those displays is a problem. I’m betting the XPS 15 9550 has the exact same issue and it wasn’t addressed in the KB simply because none of the threads that led to that KB involved a 9550.

6 Posts

February 18th, 2019 01:00

Hi, Thank you for the detailed information! The cable I use is the one provided with the U2719DC screen. It is able to transmit video as described in this page : https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-arcz It is very disappointing if this problem cannot be resolved.

when we buy only dell devices, we are expecting they are fully compatible!
Dell never tested the 2019 U2719DC monitor on this old 2015 laptop. Which is why I moved it over here to see if other older, out of warranty laptop users had tested it. DELL-Chris M

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 18th, 2019 10:00

@alexsch wrote:

Hi, Thank you for the detailed information! The cable I use is the one provided with the U2719DC screen. It is able to transmit video as described in this page : https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-arcz It is very disappointing if this problem cannot be resolved.

when we buy only dell devices, we are expecting they are fully compatible!
Dell never tested the 2019 U2719DC monitor on this old 2015 laptop. Which is why I moved it over here to see if other older, out of warranty laptop users had tested it. DELL-Chris M

Ok, then it's not a cable issue, in which case your system is most likely affected by the same issue described in the KB article for the XPS 13 9350.  I agree that the lack of commitment to interoperability is disappointing given that this issue involves entirely Dell products.  Same goes for the KB's claim that the XPS 13 9350 is EOL (end-of-life), even though it only stopped being the current generation system about 2 years before the KB was published, which means many of them will still be in use.  But maybe it's a hardware issue and therefore can't easily be fixed with a driver/firmware update.  Unfortunately, given that Dell has chosen not to provide any sort of technical explanation as to underlying cause, there's no way to know.

9 Posts

March 26th, 2019 07:00

I have to say I am really disappointed that Dell will not support their older laptops. What a shame.

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 20:00

I had online conversation with Dell support before I buy Dell U2419HC monitor last week, and they told me it will work with my XPS 15 9550. I bought it directly from Dell website.
Now it's not working. I have two Dell devices which are not supporting each other.! (MacBook Pro is working with same monitor, same cable)

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 12th, 2019 21:00

Sorry to hear that, and obviously those two devices SHOULD work together. Unfortunately it simply isn’t realistic for Dell support reps to know about every quirk of every product in Dell’s product portfolio, especially in cases like this where there’s no good reason this shouldn’t be working in the first place. Dell support techs can also be incorrect when asked very detailed technical questions, again because Dell makes a lot of products and they don’t document everything that everyone wants to know. Unfortunately given that Dell seems unwilling to provide a fix for this issue just like the same issue with the XPS 13 9350 and these displays, your only real option is to switch displays, switch PCs, or apparently add a dock between those devices — none of which are ideal, obviously.

13 Posts

June 16th, 2019 15:00

Hello jpgughan

I have the exact same issue with my XPS 15 9550 and U3219Q monitor. I'm using HDMI-HDMI right now, but like this it is only possible to get 30 fps. To get to 60 fps I have to use the USB c port. 

On the website, where "solutions" are listed, they only say that docking stations are a way to get a connection (https://www.dell.com/support/article/ch/de/chbsdt1/sln314862/xps-13-9350-no-video-with-dell-type-c-monitors?lang=en).

My question is, can't I just use a dongle (USB C to HDMI or USB C to DisplayPort)? Will the problem of "not working together" stay the same or will it be the solution to get 60fps at 4k?

@alexsch How did you fix the problem?

Thank you guys!

13 Posts

June 18th, 2019 11:00

Thank you for your response jphughan!

Since Dell has listed just two dock stations as a solution (https://www.dell.com/support/article/ch/de/chdhs1/sln314862/xps-13-9350-no-video-with-dell-type-c-monitors?lang=en) I asked this question also to the Dell guy who tried to help me with the problem. The discussion is in German:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/USB-C-Probleme-beim-Monitoranschluss-an-XPS-15-9550/m-p/7318105#M3494
His response was that only the station will help, so a dongle won't fix the problem, as he says.
I started to look for the TB16 after his informations (too expensive!!!) but now I'm not sure anymore whether his answer was correct.

because several users have confirmed that both the XPS 15 9550 and the XPS 13 9350 (the subject of the KB) work fine using USB-C to DisplayPort cables, even when used with the Dell USB-C displays. 

Where have you seen the confirmation of the users that the XPS 15 9550 works fine using an adapter?

No Events found!