Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

October 24th, 2020 15:00

USB Audio/Video problems in Zoom

I have a Blue Raspberry usb microphone and a Elgato CamLink4k capture card that I use for livestreaming and zoom meetings. They both work great on our MacBook Pro and my old XPS laptop (running Windows 7). But on my new XPS 17 9700 running Windows 10 2004, the video freezes up and I have to turn the camera off and on to get it to unstick, and the audio turns into a garbled mess 2 minutes into every zoom call. I just spent 2 hours with tech support where he uninstalled all the audio drivers and then struggled to get them reinstalled. Eventually he got it back to where he started and then claimed it was fixed. Unfortunately my Blue microphone audio still out on every zoom call. Blue recommended reinstalling all my USB controller drivers, but there are 23 different entrees in device manager, and I've no clue which one goes to which port. The tech tried to claim that Dell wasn't responsible for my problem at the end of the call cuz its a windows 10 2004 problem or a software issue that they don't cover. The nice thing about plug and play capture cards and usb mics is you just plug them in and they work. It doesn't feel like this new computer's usb ports are working correctly, and that should definitely be a Dell problem, mr tech support guy.  Anyone have any thoughts?  

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

October 27th, 2020 18:00

I'm running a brand new Dell XPS 17 9700
Windows 10 v.2004 OS build 19041.572
intel i7-10875H  CPU @ 2.30GHz
32 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design
A Blue Raspberry USB Microphone plugged into the included Dell USB/HDMI adapter 
A CamLink4k plugged directly into a USB-C port, with an HDMI cable running into my Canon EOS M100
And a second monitor connected via the HDMI adapter that came with my laptop
I'm running Zoom v5.4.0 (58636.1026), but the problem with the audio sounding garbled happens on Google Meet as well.

While trying to figure out the audio problem I found, the CamLink putting a serious drain on my new system, but switching to a different video source and freeing up resources doesn't change my audio problem. I've ran this same setup on my 10-year old Dell XPS running windows 7, and my partner's 10 year old MacBookPro, with no problems ever with either audio or video.

I switch to my Raspberry in Zoom, it works for 1-5 minutes, and then my audio signal turns to garbage. I can switch away to a different USB microphone (I have a MOVO with a USB converter I use as a backup), but when I switch back to the Raspberry I get 1-5 minutes before it out on me again.

Like I mentioned before, with video as soon as I switch to my CamLink4k the whole system bogs down. I can't resize the window. I can't drag the screen around. My whole computer is freezing up. It's kinda crazy. I just did a Zoom call and was able to work around the problem by switching to my internal webcam (thus unfreezing my system), moved the screen to my second monitor and got it sized correctly, and then switched back to my CamLink. The call was just between me and one other person and didn't freeze this time, but last week when I had 6 people on the call it would freeze every 5-10 minutes (fixed by switching away to the webcam and back again).

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 02:00

Maybe you have solved your problem. But I still want to share my experience with you. I just want to share a better zoom video conference recording application.

In the past, I often Record Zoom meeting with its built-in recorder. But it sometimes requires permissions. I don't like it.

Finally I use another software called Vidmore Screen Recorder to freely capture anything displayed on the screen. It can record online videos/audio from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, DailyMotion, TED, etc. in full screen or customized screen size with ease. The recorded Zoom meeting videos can be saved as MP4 or WMV file which would be easy to playback on any video player.

I think it is simpler and rarely causes problems. At least during the one year I used it, there was no recording issues.

ShareX also allows you to record the full screen, a locked window and a specific region on your Dell laptop. I also used it. But the interface is too complex that may confuse newbies and it is not available for macOS.

Open Broadcaster Software - OBS can also download and start recording quickly and easily on Windows, Mac or Linux, and as well it is compatible with Dell laptops.

No Events found!