Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2018 05:00

Unable to start the bluetooth stack service

Ever since a couple of weeks ago, every time I start my Dell XPS15 I get a BTTray error message saying:

ERROR: Unable to start the Bluetooth stack service.

When I check device manager, no errors are shown.

I updated the Bluetooth drivers to the latest version, but the error is still there.

Any ideas?

2 Posts

May 1st, 2018 03:00

I've encountered the same error. In my case it was really an annoyance - all BT devices worked, but occasional BSOD due to btwaudio.sys. Tried updating drivers, etc. multiple times. Finally found a solution which worked for me (XPS13 Windows 10). I went to 'add / remove programs' and towards the end found WIDCOMM bluetooth driver. I removed it and system has been fine ever since.

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

Tried as suggested, but no change.

Same error message still shown.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

steefd,

Perform the following information below.

Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button.  Expand category “Bluetooth Radios”, right click on one bluetooth device and select Uninstall. ... After uninstalling the drivers, update the driver.
Choose your system and OS installed from the link below to download and reinstall the driver.

Support.dell.com

March 18th, 2018 19:00

I have exactly the same issue on my Dell XPS laptop, starting about 7 days ago.  Please help.

1 Message

April 16th, 2018 21:00

Same here, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated drivers, tried everything I could. No luck.  Mine started about the same time as the original poster.  It has to be a driver problem or a Windows update issue, and many people in my office have the same exact problem.

1 Message

May 1st, 2018 21:00

worked instantly.

Thank you for taking the time to post the solution to this issue.

1 Message

May 16th, 2018 12:00

This same error started appearing at start up a few days ago on my XPS 13 (9350). Followed the advice of Rowzee, and the issue is now resolved. Thanks for posting your suggestion.

1 Message

May 16th, 2018 21:00

Same error, same issues with solutions not working.  Started right after a Windows Update ran.  Not sure I want to roll back the update, but it may be what I need to do.  Anyone have any other ideas?

1 Message

May 22nd, 2018 11:00

Uninstalling the WIDCOMM bluetooth driver worked! Finally got my Bose QuietControl 30's connected to my XPS-15! Thanks!

10 Posts

May 27th, 2018 01:00

Thanks, it worked for me too.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2018 19:00

The same problem started on my Dell XPS 8900 recently. There is no "Bluetooth Radio" in my Device Manager.  

1 Message

June 26th, 2018 00:00

@Rowzee wrote:

I've encountered the same error. In my case it was really an annoyance - all BT devices worked, but occasional BSOD due to btwaudio.sys. Tried updating drivers, etc. multiple times. Finally found a solution which worked for me (XPS13 Windows 10). I went to 'add / remove programs' and towards the end found WIDCOMM bluetooth driver. I removed it and system has been fine ever since.

Thanks - worked for me as well.  Been irritating me for weeks now.....

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 08:00

Thank you, @Rowzee! That had been bugging me for weeks. Didn't even know that other driver was in there, much less in the Apps area. Worked on my Dell 9550 as well.

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

Same problem for me on my XPS 13  (9350).  Thanks @Rowzee for posting a solution that works.

1 Message

July 5th, 2018 09:00

thank you so much!

@Rowzee wrote:

No Events found!