Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2018 06:00

XPS 13 9350, AC power source cannot be identified

My XPS 13 9350 updated its BIOS yesterday. During bootup it now displays a messages saying the AC power source cannot be identified and the battery may not charge. The XPS then boots as normal and appears to be charging. The message does not inspire confidence that it will continue to do so. Can anyone reassure me? The warning does say the message can be switched off in the BIOS, which is small comfort. If the XPS can't recognised its own power unit, how can it control the power properly?

3 Posts

April 19th, 2018 01:00

This is an annoying error message which I always get at startup whenever I switch on my Dell XPS laptop connected with an old charger (AC power adapter). Actually I had a Dell XPS 1530 laptop in past which is not working at the moment but its charger is absolutely fine. Currently I have Dell XPS 15 laptop which is quite similar to the previous Dell XPS 1530 laptop.

The AC adapter which came bundled with my new laptop is fitted on my computer desk and can't be moved to any other place. That's why whenever I use my laptop in a different place such as outside my room, I connect it with the old AC adapter which came bundled with my previous laptop.

But it causes one slight problem! If I connect the old AC adapter with my new laptop, my system shows following warning message at startup:    

WARNING: The AC adapter type is less than 130W or cannot be determined.
This will prevent optimal system performance.
Please check AC adapter connect properly, remove AC adapter and plug-in it again, thanks.

Press to continue......
Press to enter SETUP
Press to enter Boot Menu

AC_Adapter_Warning_Message_Laptop_Startup.png

The startup process stops at this screen and I always have to press "F1" key to continue the boot process. I know that the AC adapter is fine and can charge the laptop without any problem, so I don't want to see that annoying error message at every startup.

I looked into BIOS settings and found an interesting option "Adapter Warnings" which was set to enabled. I changed its value to disabled and it removed the error message forever.

If you also get this kind of error message each time you switch on your laptop and if you also want to disable the message, following steps will help you:   apk Mod

1. Switch on your laptop and press F2 key to enter into BIOS settings. Please note that different laptops provide different keys to enter into BIOS settings. If F2 key doesn't work for you, try to press Delete key. Most of the times, the correct key name is displayed on the BIOS boot logo.

2. Once you press the correct key, it'll open BIOS settings screen. If you have set a password in past, it'll ask to enter the password. Enter your correct password to access BIOS settings page. If you don't know the password or if you have forgotten the password, you can check our exclusive BIOS password recovery tutorial to reset or remove the password.

3. After entering into BIOS settings page, go to "Advanced" tab and move down to "Adapter Warnings" option. Press Enter key to change its value and select "Disabled" option from the list.

Disable_Adapter_Warning_BIOS_Settings.png

4. That's it. Save the changes and exit from BIOS settings and now you'll never get the annoying warning message about AC power adapter type at startup.

PS: Only use this method if your AC adapter is fine and in working condition. Sometimes this message may appear if your laptop battery or AC power adapter needs to be changed.

2 Posts

April 1st, 2018 14:00

I have a similar problem, but the battery WON'T charge.  Tech support sent someone out to replace the mainboard, which fixed the problem for a day or two, during which time I fully charged the battery once.  Now it's giving me the same error.  I emailed tech support to see what they want to do next.  

2 Posts

April 18th, 2018 20:00

Customer Service had me send in the laptop to be repaired at the service depot, all they did was replace the charger, which has NOT fixed the issue.  They either need to fix this once and for all, or replace the system, either way I certainly won't be looking at Dell for any laptops in the future.

1 Message

May 14th, 2018 20:00

THIS WORKED FOR US:

Get some compressed air and blow it into the jack hole. 

I guess it blew some particle out, and the computer now recognizes the adapter.

July 28th, 2019 21:00

THIS WORKED! I just blew into the hole where the power cord goes. And wiped off the power plug that goes into it. I'd spent hours reading and trying to fix this issue and this simple suggestion is what worked. Battery is charging fine now. Side note: Been very unhappy with my four-year-old XPS 15 9550, sad to say. Touchpad stopped clicking two years ago and now wobbles 1/8" above the surface of the laptop. Before that, had several rounds of very challenging service with Dell dealing with various serious issues on a new laptop. Won't buy another Dell.

1 Message

August 20th, 2019 09:00

Wow, I will try this. I replaced my friggin MOBO on this laptop just to fix this problem. Worked for a few months, and now back to the same problem! Tried multiple 130W adapters as always!

1 Message

October 7th, 2019 00:00

Great guide. Thanks for the information.

No Events found!