Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 31st, 2020 10:00

What Intel WiFi card works with Dell XPS 15 (9560) with Intel Core i5 7th Gen?

Hey all, 

I've had the Dell XPS 15 for almost two years now. It's been an incredible laptop, but I wouldn't wish the stock WiFi card it comes with on my worst enemy. It can't handle anything more than a simple google search before it disconnects from the internet. Even with the latest drivers, bios, and hours chatting with Killer Wireless, nothing has changed. Indeed, it's so bad, occasionally the computer will completely freeze all because of the WiFi card. 

That said, does I'm looking to upgrade to an Intel WiFi card. Does anyone know which one will work with my hardware? As stated in the title, I'm running an Intel Core i5 7th gen and Windows 10 home 64 bit if it means anything. 

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 31st, 2020 10:00

I would recommend the Intel 9260.  I successfully installed one into my even older XPS 15 9530 and it works fine.  Do NOT get the 9560, which requires a CPU that includes CNVio.  That's basically an architecture where some parts of the WiFi hardware are built into the CPU.  The 9260 is basically the 9560 with everything necessary built into the WiFi card itself.

And just fyi, since the time your XPS 15 was made, Intel has acquired Killer Networks, so the latest Killer cards should perform much better than they used to. Just in case you end up getting another system that comes with Killer WiFi, because on some systems the WiFi chipset is actually integrated into the motherboard now.  Newer XPS 13 models are like this.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 31st, 2020 11:00

Thank you very much! That's extremely helpful. 

1 Message

December 28th, 2020 14:00

I have the new XPS 15 9500 (2020) i7.  I'm unable to locate the Killer WiFi card to replace with the Intel 9260 any help is greatly appreciated.

No Events found!