Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

3 Posts

January 19th, 2020 04:00

Windows 10 Hello / Fingerprint not working

Dear Community,

I recently bought an XPS 15 7590 and it's an amazing laptop.

The only problem I've had is a first world one, but maybe someone can help anyway.

Windows Hello (fingerprint sign-in) worked very well until about end of December 2019, when there was a BIOS and Windows update. Ever since, the device asks for a PIN and doesn't let me set up Windows Hello with fingerprint properly. One of the following happens:

Either only the PIN is requested;

Or when I touch the fingerprint sensor, it says "please log in with your PIN".

When I set up Fingerprint login with Windows 10, it allows me to scan the fingerprint (making me assume the reader works properly). Also, it keeps prompting me to set up windows Hello, even though it's already set up.

Maybe someone has had a similar problem. I've tried re-installing the fingerprint driver, or just removing it, to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 20th, 2020 05:00

It is not a driver problem. The PIN that the system keeps asking for is your log in PIN to Windows. The system wants to verify that it is you that wants to set up Hello. Have you set up a PIN to access Windows yet? And if you did it is possible the BIOS and Windows update have wiped out that information and you will have to set it up again. This site will give you more information on setting up a PIN.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2020 11:00

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I also don't think it's necessarily a problem with the fingerprint hardware itself, however just clearing and re-setting the PIN doesn't work. I did this several times, and for whatever reason, after re-setting up both fingerprint and PIN, the system asks for the fingerprint, but once that is validated, it says that a pin is required for sign-in. It seems to be a deep-seated bug brought about by the latest Windows 10 update.

13 Posts

June 20th, 2020 08:00

Same issue as well , it was working perfectly untill recently , keep saying to put pin in and on the options to sign in it says the fingerprint scanner is working and set up but when I log in to windows or start up it keeps asking for a pin that Ive already set up before

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 08:00

Same unresolved issue. Here is a picture of the settings:

Capture.PNG

1 Message

September 20th, 2020 13:00

Same - worked before; now it doesn't even show in Device Manager as an existing biometric device.

This happened to me a while ago, then magically it started working again.  Now it's back to not being an option.

Very strange. And frustrating.

March 13th, 2021 04:00

I find that the hello login ignores my fingerprint most of the time. I go into login options, click pin. Don't enter the pin and go back to fingerprint login, then touch my finger on the reader it unlocks. 

The system can read my prints and log in, but chooses not to, unless I've clicked on the pin option and back to fingerprint first. 

This is on a fairly new XPS15 Windows 10 pro.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2021 23:00

The same exact issue here (on a 7590 Windows 10 Pro). It is so random It happens about 50 % of the time to me but it is so frustrating.

June 2nd, 2021 06:00

You can configure your GPO to set few policy enable.

Start > run > gpedit.msc

All under Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics

Enable "Allow the use of biometrics"

Enable "Allow users to log on using biometrics"

Enable "Allow domain users to log on using biometrics"

January 8th, 2022 20:00

Same problem here. Why can't i setup fingerprint?

1 Message

July 16th, 2022 15:00

I struggled with this for a bit but I think I figured it out.

I was signed into my Microsoft account, so i switched it to local account. (Start > Account button > Change account settings)  After that I signed back into my account and it asked me to choose a sign in method (bc of the Windows Hello), so I chose a fingerprint, I recorded it and then when I tried to log into my computer again, it took my finger print.

Hope it works

No Events found!