Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

April 7th, 2020 13:00

Windows Home product key hard coded into the Dell bios

I own a Dell XPS 9560 laptop that was supplied with Windows Home version installed. I thought it would be easy to update to Windows 10 Professional but found out that the Windows 10 Home option is hard coded into the Dell bios during purchase.

After purchasing a Windows 10 Professional license I have found out it is seemingly possible to update the Windows 10 Home Product Key in the Dell bios. After modifying the Windows media install I have been able to force the install of Windows 10 Professional

I thought that it would be possible to use the RWeverything app to modify the bios but it appears to be read only. I have a suspicion that the Windows Home hard coding may restrict bios features such as the TPM module, as bitlocker is not supported in Windows 10 Home.

As a side note my TPM menu item has disappeared from the bios after upgrading from v1.15.0 to 1.18.0 and I get the well documented 'TPM not detected' issue during boot.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone on this forum has successfully updated the hard coded Windows Key in the Dell bios and how this was achieved.

Secondly I would find it very useful to know if the hard coding of the Windows product key within the bios enables or disables bios features .  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Dell XPS 9560 is now out of warranty and unsurprisingly Dell has shown no interest in providing any help or assistance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 7th, 2020 14:00

Even if your system has a hard coded product key, which isn't typical anymore because nowadays newly manufactured systems get registered with Microsoft and obtain a "digital license" that allows them to reactivate after a clean install even with no user-supplied product key or embedded product key, that would in no way limit access to features like a TPM or BitLocker.  It will however cause Windows Setup to default to installing the version of Windows corresponding to that key.  You can work around that either by performing a manual installation Command Prompt commands within Windows Setup (you can open it by pressing Shift+F10), or else just install Home and switch it to Pro afterward using your Pro key.  The switch is just a simple reboot, NOT an entire OS reinstallation/upgrade routine.

@ejn63  Thanks for your reply. My laptop was manufactured late 2017. When I examine the ACPI table, MSDM tab of the bios using RWEverything, it clearly shows the Windows Home product key. I have been advised that this is the information a Windows media install uses to automatically configure and activate the windows edition to be loaded. (the Windows server activation uses the product key embedded in the bios)

I hadn't thought that some countries bar the use of TPM and will check into whether my laptop falls into this category. Interestingly I have received some bizarre information which suggested, incorrectly, that the laptop was in the Czech republic. I tried to correct this but Dell Customer service wore me down and I believe that the laptop may still be connected somehow to this country.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

There is no hard-coded ID in the BIOS for Windows 10 Home.  There is a unique system identifier coded there, which cannot be changed.  Whatever OS booted on that system is associated with this hardware ID when the first connection is made to Microsoft's servers.  And once you purchase the license key for 10 Pro and activate it, the unique identifier is then associated with that license key forever.

If the system has a TPM (and in some markets, systems do not, since some nations bar the use of TPM entirely), it's used at the operating system level - not the BIOS level, so anything 10 Pro supports vis a vis TPM will be active, even if the system shipped from Dell with the Home edition.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2021 23:00

Despite replies below it is EXTREMELY common for Dell, Acer, HP, and Lenovo to hardcore win 10 home product keys to the bios.  This is because chances are they sell the same laptop directly with an ever so slightly different model number than you will get at a third party retailer for more AND they want you to buy a new laptop.  The funny thing is you don’t need to.  There are tons of how to’s on the internet to get around this but the basic way is this. Wether you have an older Microsoft direct USB or you download an iso and put it on a 10gb or larger thumb drive you essentially modify 1 or two files permanently.  One file tells the windows 10 pro installer to ignore bios and utilize the key you give it.  The second file is optional but allows you to place the key in the install so it won’t even ask you for a key.  Its been a while since I have done this but I found everything via google searches Christmas 2020.  If you still haven’t found these how to guides I can always post some urls if the site lets me when I am on my desktop vs tablet. (It’s late, kids asleep, and hardwood floor pops at night.). Happy hunting and it’s no surprise Dell wouldn’t tell you this cause they are a greedy corporation after all.

No Events found!