Start a Conversation

Unsolved

IU

16 Posts

August 13th, 2020 23:00

XPS 13 2-in-1 7390 trackpad intermittently freezes and touchscreen stops working (Win 10 v2004)

My problem is with the trackpad, not the use of an external mouse, which is what all the posted solutions seem to address. In addition, the solutions seem to address earlier versions of Windows, since I don't have the "Power Management" tab for the Bluetooth and other device drivers.

I am trying to decide whether to keep this laptop and am hoping that I can get a solution for this problem, otherwise, I may have to try HP or another brand. My trackpad intermittently freezes; also, the touchscreen stops working completely. I have tried rebooting my machine, which sometimes seems to "fix" the problem temporarily, which is very inconvenient.

Would like to know if anyone else is having these problems, and if  so, what you have found for a solution.

• 

25.1K Posts

August 13th, 2020 23:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 14th, 2020 12:00

Win 10 v2004 is still buggy, with complaints about touchscreens etc.

Do you have the latest firmware update for the touchpad?

Do you have the latest firmware update for touch screen?

Could also be a Power plan issue:
Reboot PC and open Device Manager. Expand list under USB. Double-click a USB entry and click its Power Management tab, if it has one. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB entries

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab. Exit Device Manager when done.

Next, open the Windows Power & Sleep screen. Click Additional Power Settings. On next screen identify the active Power plan and click Change Plan Settings. On next screen, click Change Advanced Power Settings.

On that last screen, disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend, and PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Does that help?

August 14th, 2020 15:00

@RoHe , thanks for the suggestions; have some questions on them:

I checked and I have the latest drivers. I made the changes in Device Manager. I wasn't sure what you meant with regard to changing the Power plan settings. Did you mean to set Hibernate and Sleep to "never"? In which case, I can only fully turn on or off my laptop? (I usually like to keep it in hibernation mode, and have never had a problem with this in past laptops, including a 2017 XPS13). 

Also, I had no setting called "USB Selective Suspend" or "PCI Express Link State Management," so not sure what you meant for these?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 14th, 2020 16:00

Keep in mind that this is a new version of Win 10, and who knows what changes Microsoft made that affect how the PC behaves and what bugs haven't been fixed? I've seen complaints about touchscreen problems with v2004 on other Dell PC models...

The two items I linked aren't drivers. They're firmware updates which are stored on chips in the PC, not as files on the SSD.  How do you know the firmware updates were installed?

Any improvements after making those changes in Device Manager and rebooting?

You can always undo any Power settings changes if they don't solve the problem. Try disabling hibernation and Hybrid Sleep, which isn't the same as Sleep. And you can always set Windows to turn off the screen and SSD at a set interval of inactivity, even though it won't fully go to sleep.

You may have to run a few commands that may make those other power options visible. So read this.

August 24th, 2020 22:00

Well, I unchecked the settings for the USB and HID categories under Device Manager, and things were fine until today. The mouse is freezing intermittently again. I tried typing those commands under the command prompt, which did not seem to reveal any new power management tabs. I went to the power management settings and was not quite sure how to disable them. I guess I would set the intervals to "Never" for everything (instead a number of minutes)? I don't have a setting for Hybrid Sleep, only Sleep and Hibernation. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 25th, 2020 11:00

Don't know what you mean about looking for power management tabs under command prompt....

Open a CMD prompt window, run as administrator. Type in:
powercfg.exe /hibernate on and press Enter.

Now close the CMD prompt window and navigate through the Power plan screens (see above) to the Advanced Settings screen.  It should look like this:

power.jpg

Set Sleep time to whatever you want and click the blue text in the others and change to Off, Never, Disabled. Be sure to save the changes before leaving this screen and reboot.

BTW: If you have Dell Update and SupportAssist Update App installed, try disabling those on the Startup tab in Task Manager and reboot.

August 26th, 2020 15:00

I typed in the command prompt.

I set Hibernate to NEVER on both battery and plugged in modes.

I don't have "USB settings "or "Allow Hybrid Sleep" categories.

I went back to an earlier recommendation of yours on making sure I had the latest firmware. I went to the links and downloaded the files. For the 2nd set, as soon as I clicked on the .exe files, they started updating, but as they did this, I noticed it said something like "better to reboot, operating system has later update" or something. But, it wouldn't let me cancel or X out of it. I hope I didn't mess up anything.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 26th, 2020 17:00

If the PC is frozen, you have no choice but to force power off and reboot...

146 Posts

August 26th, 2020 20:00

If the computer is working and the touchpad suddenly fails, then restart the computer and try.
If the touchpad cannot be used for a long time, try to update the touchpad driver. Baidu search drives the life software. After the download is complete, install it and the software will automatically detect the required driver.
If the driver cannot be used after updating the driver, then check whether the touchpad of the computer is turned off, and press Fn+F8 or Fn+F2 on the keyboard.
If none of the above methods can be used, then it is very likely that the touchpad has a hardware problem. Then you need to go to the repair shop to be tested and repaired.

August 27th, 2020 15:00

I just noticed that there was a BIOS update in July. Just installed this and will see if it helps at all, because I still had the freezing problems last night.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 27th, 2020 17:00

Did you try running that touchscreen firmware update after rebooting? Note: you may need to fully power the system off, not just do a restart from inside Windows.

That BIOS update doesn't mention fixing any touchpad issues but let us know if that helps...

Did you try disabling Dell Update and SupportAssist on the startup tab in Task Manager for the touchpad issue?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 28th, 2020 14:00

@Infectus  - Did you try the power settings changes I suggested on page 1 of this thread?

I'll ping my Dell tech contact too...

2 Posts

August 28th, 2020 14:00

Hello we have the same problem with DELL XPS 15 7590, with the latest version of the operating system and with all the DELL COMMAND updates installed, following the shutdown of the monitor due to timeout (10 minutes) when the touchpad resumes it works occasionally!
Thanks for the support.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2020 15:00

@RoHe 

Thanks for the quick reply, we certainly tried to apply the settings suggested above, but unlike what is indicated, we only have the "balanced" profile available and some settings are not present, but everything is disabled anyway (except the "powercfg.exe / hibernate on ") is set only and exclusively to turn off the screen after 10 minutes of inactivity

9 Posts

August 28th, 2020 16:00

I've experience trackpad/mouse stuttering, and this thread seems to have helped. Maybe give it a go and see.

In the search, type in 'Services' to locate the Services app, and disable Dell SupportAssist Remediation. DSAR often hogs the memory and creates the lag you might be experiencing. 

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/Intermittent-freezing-for-several-seconds-at-a-time/td-p/7622431/page/2?ref=lithium_acptsoln

No Events found!