Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

V

2 Posts

April 8th, 2020 11:00

XPS 13 7390, Realtek Audio, headphone Jack

Hello, 

Currently having an issue where headphones plugged into the jack are only recognized if I had them plugged in during bootup, if I unplug and replug them in afterward they don't show up and audio keeps playing through the inbuilt speakers.

What's interesting is that if I uninstall the Realtek drivers and use the generic windows drivers, this problem disappears. I have tried every Realtek driver from July 2019 onward and the problem persists. I am completely up to date with updates as of today. I need some help, I've been a big fan of these laptops for years (I bought the first infinity-edge XPS 13) and just recently upgraded and am very disappointed in this experience.  

Thanks. 

2 Posts

April 29th, 2020 16:00

I was told a solution over the phone so the details a little hazy, but the issue was actually a driver under "System Devices." It was something along the lines of "Intel... Audio Controller." You'll know you have the right one once you double click it, go to update driver under the driver tab, click browse my computer for driver software, then pick from a list..., and finally see "High Definition Audio Controller." Installing this over the intel one solved the problem for me. I wish I could give more specific instructions but solving the issue deleted the bad intel driver so I don't remember exactly what it was called. 

• 

25K Posts

April 8th, 2020 20:00

Hello. Can you private message us the service tag of your system so that we can review this further and assist you. ^MP

1 Message

August 17th, 2020 06:00

Hello, 

I have the same issue with my XPS 13 7390.

Can you help me and tell me how to fix it?

Many thanks

• 

16.6K Posts

August 17th, 2020 08:00

joaofeio,

Uninstall the audio drivers, reboot the system, and reinstall the drivers. You can click here to download the drivers.

1 Message

December 26th, 2020 12:00

You first have to go on device managers. Then scroll down to find system devices. Under system devices is something along the lines of 'intel smart sound... audio controller'. Wanted to add this to original post because it helped me solve my issue. THANK YOU!

1 Message

April 29th, 2023 19:00

This worked perfectly! I've been terribly annoyed by the one issue I've had with this lovely machine. Thanks for your help!

1 Message

May 17th, 2023 04:00

This is fantastic, definitely solved the issue for me. Different computer (XPS 13 9310) but same issue.

I'll elaborate for others that may come across this post through a search engine like I did. This is probably too much detail for a lot of people and not enough for some, everyone has different abilities so I just thought being a bit more verbose might increase the number of people this helps.

These are the steps I followed:

Opening Device manager

1. Press the start button 🪟

2. Type in Device Manager (can just start typing into keyboard once the menu pops-up)

3. Click on Device Manager

Finding the audio device

4. Find System devices, its one of the categories in the device manager window.

5. Click on the ">" arrow to the left of system devices, that should then show a list of devices underneath it

6. Find the device that says  something like Intel Smart sound audio driver

7. Right click on it and click "update driver"

8. Click on 'Browse my computer for drivers'

9. Click on 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers' (note don't click browse... unless you know what you're doing)

10. Uncheck 'Show Compatible hardware' (at least this is what I had to do to find the "high definition audio driver")

11. Click 'Microsoft' from the list of manufacturers on the left

12. Find "High Definition Audio Controller" in the small window to the right

13. Click next, there may be a warning but I selected that I did want to proceed

14. Restart the computer once prompted

At this stage it just worked for me. Thanks veryroomy for your post. This is perfect. I think this driver (that doesn't work) is from windows updates as I didn't have this issue from factory, hopefully it'll be fixed in the future

No Events found!