Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

January 15th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 7390 - is the Dell TB16 thunderbolt dock compatible?

My new laptop should be here by the end of the month. I’m upgrading from an older HP laptop with a bunch of USB ports. This technology is mostly new to me. I will probably only run one external monitor (I’m looking at a 27” curved right now) but may run two at some point. I will have a wireless keyboard and mouse and two external hard drives. I like the idea of a dock because of the reduction in cable clutter. Is the TB16 compatible with the 7390? Should I buy it or look at something higher end?  To be honest, the prices are all a bit daunting but the TB16 is reasonable on Amazon (Dell will match, I know). Thoughts?

2 Posts

February 16th, 2020 18:00

I recently bough the XPS 7390 (not the 2 in 1). I called into Dell and chatted with them and recommended the TB16. However, the laptop consistently disconnects from the dock making it unusable. I sent back both the laptop and the dock and got replacements. After that, I continued to have the same issues. Now Tech support says the dock isn't compatible. They can't come up with a reason why it wouldn't be though. Sales keeps telling me it's compatible. They literally just keep transferring me back and forth (for the past 10 days). Buy the XPS with caution if you want a functioning dock (I also tried the D6000 and it doesn't work). 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 17th, 2020 11:00

@Blangefels  and @brownmi  the TB16 was replaced months ago by the newer Dell WD19TB, in fact that model launched right around the same time as the XPS 13 7390, so I'm not sure why someone in Dell told you to use the TB16.  The TB16 might nonetheless work with newer systems like this one, but even among the systems it was officially compatible with, the TB16 generated more than its fair share of issues and complaints around reliability.  The WD19TB doesn't seem to be generating anywhere near those levels of problems, so I'd go with that.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 20th, 2020 17:00

Hello, Tejahsree here,

We have an update from the internal team.
The LAN/Audio driver is shared between WD15/TB16/TB18DC/WD19. Hence we will see the TB16 dock listed under the driver info, but this not specify that all the platforms support the dock.
The TB16 is under the accessory list for the old version of XPS 13 (9380), but not under New XPS (7390).
The WD19 is officially supported by XPS 7390.

Thanks

No Events found!