Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

12 Posts

March 21st, 2020 18:00

XPS 13 9300 , volume controls issue

Hi all,

I am currently having issue with volume control, volume can only be changed via in-app volume bar while changing master volume does nothing (using F2 and F3 key for volume up/down).  

Example is when viewing youtube video, pressing F2/F3 does nothing to volume (so volume at 10 is same as 90).  Have to drag the volume bar inside youtube video box to change volume.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing and is there an easy fix please?

Thank you,

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi, 

Have you tried checking toggling the volume on the system using a key combination of the Fn+F2 or F3 key?

Srikanth 

12 Posts

Hi Srikanth,

Fn+F2 or Fn+F3 actually does nothing to the system.  But pressing F2 would bring the OSD volume control out and I can see master volume number goes down on screen, and vice-versa with F3.  The only issue is that, the volume is actually NOT changing, only the on-screen number is.

12 Posts

Believe I have the Fn-lock on that's why just by pressing F2 or F3 is same as normally Fn+F2 and Fn+F3.  But just verified that releasing Fn-lock does not resolve the issue.

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 08:00

Turned out to be a driver issue.  Dell support team replaced the audio driver with Microsoft HD audio driver and the controls are back.  All resolved now.  

Thanks,

73 Posts

April 27th, 2020 06:00

Hi,

sorry to bring up an old topic but I'm experiencing exactly the same behavior.

Would you mind sharing which driver DELL used instead of the Realtek driver to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot.

BR

1 Message

June 18th, 2020 15:00

This problem still persist(after 12 Jun Realtek driver)I remembered when clean install OS, volume work OK, but after install Dell driver, volume no more work. 

1 Message

November 15th, 2020 18:00

I'm having this same issue. The master volume control doesn't control the system sound. The number changes, but the actual volume level stays the same.

1 Message

December 24th, 2020 16:00

I too had this problem arise after an update. I was able to solve it by using the Microsoft HD audio driver also. Here is what I did:

1) In the search box on the taskbar, I searched for device manager and opened the program.

2) In the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section I located the Realtek sound device.

3) Right click on it and choose "Update driver".

4) Choose "Browse my computer for drivers".

5) Choose "Let me pick from a list...".

6) Uncheck "Show compatible hardware".

7) Scrolled down to Microsoft and selected "High Definition Audio Device...".

I was prompted to agree to use the driver although it may not be compatible, I said yes.

Volume keys started to work again. Hope this helps someone.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2021 03:00

Thank you!

2 Posts

May 11th, 2021 08:00

I was having the same issue and installing the generic Microsoft audio driver didn't work. However, i read on the dell support site under the Realtek audio driver that the latest driver requires the Waves Maxxaudio application which can also be downloaded on the support site. Once i installed that and the latest Realtek driver and rebooted, volume control is working again.

6 Posts

July 15th, 2021 22:00

Anyone else still experiencing an issue with this? I am. I installed the Microsoft HD audio driver and it works, but only partially. There's occasionally a loss of sound or audio crackling that makes it unusable. When is Dell going to release a functional driver? This is ridiculous for a $1600+ laptop.

October 22nd, 2021 05:00

Have you found a fix for that Problem by now?

January 27th, 2022 17:00

Has anyone found a viable solution? I've spent countless hours with Dell Tech Support, I've reset my computer multiple times yet every time the Dell updates are complete my volume only works at 100% or mute. It's super annoying. Any suggestions??? 

• 

25.1K Posts

January 27th, 2022 17:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

6 Posts

July 13th, 2022 01:00

Broken motherboard send it back asap or they will not fix it and you'll be stuck with a 700$ plus bill for out of warranty repairs.

No Events found!