Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: 4th September will be the day. Or will it?

Jump to solution

I guess a lesson learnt is that don't buy into the first generation of a new platform from Dell. I guess the upcoming Tiger Lake refresh of the 9300 will be far more stable upon launch since it essentially builds upon the 9300 and the issues which have been discovered and frustratingly slow to fix over the past months. Then again, I might be wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This is a long shot, but of those of you who said 1.2.0 fixed your USBC->HDMI adapters, are any of you running Ubuntu or are you all on Windows?

I'm one of the few who saw no change at all with 1.2.0 on Ubuntu, and I'm wondering if some BIOS/OS interaction is to blame.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I work in Ubuntu (20.04), and after installing BOIS update 1.2.0  I could run 4K 60Hz monitor using USB-C -> DP port adapter. But USB-C -> HDMI port adapter still doesn't work for me in Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I use Ubuntu 20.04 and 1.2.0  bios. USB-C to mini-displayport adapter (for Apple 27" display) still does not work. Sound and webcam build in display work with the adapter. USB memory sticks also work.

Display works fine with older dell XPS model (that has a native mini-displayport).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same here. Does it was fixed or you guys still have the problem? I want to connect 2 monitors to my XPS, but only display port works, the HDMI one don't. @dell-hi @BlipBloop  Did you guys solved that problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Jump to solution

I'm STILL having this issue, despite the latest Bios update. Beyond a joke at this point...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

something that worked for me, every time I update the Bios my dell WD19 130W docking station stops working and windows says it is unsupported.
By disconnecting the power supply that goes to the dock itself for 5 seconds and then reconnecting it all of a sudden will start to work (until the next bios update)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Anyone have any idea what this output from "fwupdmgr get-devices" means?

├─Thunderbolt Controller:
│ Device ID: fd9841ea958cd0288e917ee113ddb4b2843dca52
│ Summary: Unmatched performance for high-speed I/O
│ Current version: 80.00
│ Update Error: Missing non-active nvmem
│ GUID: e72e778e-94f7-5ed2-b560-1c1262ee217c
│ Device Flags: • Internal device
│ • Requires AC power

Specifically the "Update Error" line? My current working theory is that while my firmware is 1.2.0, the Thunderbolt controller's own firmware never got updated, and that could be the cause of the HDMI issues I'm still seeing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I raised a bug about fwupd and included in that I asked a question about that specific error message. See my question and the subsequent responses at https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/2212#issuecomment-647895909. In summary, that particular message text is not a bug and the text was fixed in current version of fwupd.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for that info, @bulletmark. Good to know.

I spent a few hours yesterday setting up a live install of Windows on a bootable USB drive.

I ran through every possible system update that the official Windows "Dell Updater" would do.  I even re-flashed the 1.2.0 BIOS.

My thinking was that Windows users are given more attention than Linux users by Dell's support and engineering teams, and that maybe they forgot to include some firmware updates in the Linux packages. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to tell Dell's support team "Thanks, but - again - that's a Windows update utility and won't run on Ubuntu" so I didn't just pull this theory out of the air 🙂

So anyway, my findings are that no version numbers changed anywhere and I wasted a few hours.

Thunderbolt NVM firmware is still at 80.0.  Thunderbolt retimer firmware is still 31.0.0.

HDMI performance is still unreliable, and I still never know what my reported max resolution will be each time I plug in a USB-C to HDMI adapter.  Sometimes it's 3840x2160 @60hz.  But sometimes it's only at 30hz.  Sometimes the max resolution is 1920x1080.  Sometimes it's 1280x800.  Sometimes it's just no signal at all.

I mostly love this laptop but trying to use it with any kind of external display is just a mess.

0 Kudos