Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2021 00:00

XPS 13 9310 2-in-1 Crashes After Going Into Standby

Since about 3 days ago, every time I leave my XPS switched on, it crashes when it goes into sleep / hibernate mode.

Last night I left it, and this morning the screen was off, the fans turned on, and the computer was hot. I couldn't get the screen to turn on, so I held the power button down and reset it. Then it says 'windows failed to start' error. This has happened 3 days in a row now. The first time it happened the screen was on, but it said Windows had crashed due to a failed update installing, so perhaps it's linked to that?

I have not installed any new programmes myself, and I have since updated BIOS and all drivers, and the problem is still there. Please can anyone add suggestions of what to do?

April 8th, 2021 17:00

I have the exact same issue described by all the users in this thread, I have had this laptop for just 3 months now and the overheating/spontaneous shut down after idle has started to happen 2 weeks ago, no reason why as I have not installed any new apps or done anything weird with the laptop. The tech support is horrible and after spending 3hours on the chat/phone with their offshore support person, he updated my BIOS, drivers etc, and then a day later it crashed again, it is now a daily event and they asked me to just do a factory reset and reinstall OS which according to users in this thread, it was not the fix. I don't understand how this laptop is hailed as top of its class and ranked #1 across all those laptop ranking pages, this is marketing and Dell needs to give us a solution!

6 Posts

April 9th, 2021 20:00

Update on support ticket with Dell. After some remote troubleshooting I have been advised the motherboard needs replacing. I'm not convinced that is the issue resolution, but I am not the expert. Am awaiting advise on logistics for getting this done now.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2021 04:00

I am having the same issue as well,

I just noticed today a new BIOS update Version 2.1.1 mentioning: "- Fixed the issue where the system stops responding when it in idle state."

Has anyone tested if this solves the problem?

2 Posts

April 14th, 2021 10:00

After testing BIOS 2.1.1 I confirm that the issue persists.

This is too frustrating, we cannot take advantage of the evo 1 second wake because of this.

12 Posts

April 19th, 2021 08:00

I too still see the same issues, and then some! But whereas I got away with just disabling sleep all together before, now even that’s not enough.

The new BIOS update brought a few new fun bugs which make my productivity about as reliable as earning a retirement plan in Vegas. Touchscreen stop registering, fans trying to take off into outer space, CPU stuttering like 13 y.o. Me talking to my high school crush, and the list goes on.

On a three, thousand, dollar, machine. What the doodles Dell... just, what the doodles?.

Never again.

**PS: so apparently «profanity in any form will be deleted» is a bad word. No, not the actual word, the ABBREVIATION! Hey Dell, spend the time you make up forum rules on R&D.

1 Message

April 19th, 2021 12:00

i am having this issue on my regular 9310 just after applying a registry hack for a other problem:

The bluetooth mouse lag issue

rollbacking the hack solve the sleep crash SOLVE issue for me (but make the BT mousse unusable) 

-- rollback.reg ----------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_8087&PID_0026\5&1210a828&0&10\Device Parameters]
"DeviceSelectiveSuspended"=dword:00000001
"SelectiveSuspendEnabled"=-
"SelectiveSuspendSupported"=-
-- rollback.reg ----------------------------------------------

• 

25.7K Posts

April 22nd, 2021 07:00

Hi,

Please private message and let us know more about the issue, your private Service Tag, all of your troubleshooting, current BIOS installed?

FAQ Modern Standby

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 07:00

Same problem for me. The April 14 BIOS update decidedly made things a lot worse. My laptop now crashes every single time I close the lid, unless I shut it down completely before. The BIOS update also messed with the fingerprint reader. It was no longer visible to the system. Had to disable the reader and then re-enable it, with a reboot in between each step before it worked again. This is completely unacceptable - please Dell fix this ASAP, I really need this laptop for work. 

1 Message

April 23rd, 2021 00:00

Hi there, greetings from Poland !

exactly same story with XPS17 9700, top-specs, with latest bios, drivers, etc.  Hangs just after entering sleep mode, gets extremely hot and only cold reset wakes him up. MIne is connected to TB16 , but behaves same in standalone. 

I can't imagine, what would happen, when laptop would be stored in a closed case in plane or smth .This is a REAL danger, 

Regards,

Mati.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2021 02:00

Any update?

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2021 17:00

Motherboard replacement finally scheduled in for next week - supply chain issues apparently. FYI my BIOS is 2.2.1 - but still having the hanging, and hotplate, issues.

May 1st, 2021 06:00

I have the same problem XPS 13 9310. Notebook freezes when goes into Sleep mode. Only hard reboot (5-10 sec power button) restarts it. 

I noticed that such a behavior takes place when the laptop is connected to the dock (Belkin Thunderbolt 3 plus). Dock is used to connect dual monitors Dell 4k@60Hz and USB hub on the monitor.

All the latest drivers installed and BIOS 2.2 (latest, I believe) is updated.

In Windows Event Viewer I see multiple critical events and errors. Will attach some screenshots below.

Not clear what to do. It is really sad and would be great to solve it. 

AndreiMaklakov_0-1619875937359.png

AndreiMaklakov_1-1619876005281.png

May 2nd, 2021 14:00

Same here with a new 9310 (not 2-in-1) with the latest BIOS (2.2) installed. I am wondering, has anyone tried downgrading the BIOS to 2.1?

May 3rd, 2021 11:00

It crashed again. I just locked Windows and left the laptop alone for several hours. I am not sure what exactly happened during these 2 hours but when I came back, it did not respond to anything. Had to restart it with 10 sec power button.

Laptop was connected to the dock Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Plus.

And I can see that Windows Event Viewer captured another Critical event.

AndreiMaklakov_0-1620066586133.png

Dell, please investigate it and fix asap.

May 4th, 2021 08:00

May I ask whether you have dual boot in your laptop? Have you also installed Linux?

No Events found!