Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2020 16:00

XPS 13 9310 (2020) drops ethernet

Brand new XPS13 9310.  Randomly drops ethernet.  Unplug ethernet adapter, replug and then it works again.  Wireless still works.  Tried two different UBS C to ethernet adapters, same issue.  Per another post, tried Energy-Efficient Ethernet and sent Speed/Duplex to 1gig full duplex so Auto Negotiation is switched off (I have gig service). Still happens.  Other ideas?  

3 Posts

February 4th, 2022 05:00

Guess I have a solution!

I had some long lasting video conferences today and have some really good news. No disconnect issues anymore! Looks like this driver fixed the problem completely!

To be precise: 

Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Windows, update time 6/25/21

Furthermore, these are my setting for my Realtek USB GBE Family Ethernet Controller which do not solve the problem itself:

Adaptive link speed -> disabled

Energy efficient ethernet -. disabled

Green ethernet -> disabled

Speed & duplex -> auto negotiation

Already informed Dell

2 Posts

January 21st, 2021 17:00

I really like my XPS 13 9310, however I have the same issue with the UNI USB-C to Ethernet adapter.   I have made all the mentioned changes to the settings but it still temporally drops and re-establishes the connection.   It seems to happen most when the laptop is not doing anything, like when I am reading a long article.   I though it might be a battery saving option but it happens just as much when plugged in.   It is very annoying. 

10 Posts

February 16th, 2021 02:00

Only commenting to say same issue here.....

3 Posts

February 16th, 2021 02:00

2000$ and the same problem with my newly unboxed Dell XPS 13 9310.

I plugged my XPS with my both monitors only with USBC : Dell U2721DE who have a integrated dock with RJ45.

Every 1 to 2 hours my Ethernet link is down. Very annoying with enterprise client VPN software and my Video conference ...

Is there a firmware update for the XPS ? I guess the problem comes from the USBC ports and not my monitors as I read a lot of users have the same problem with different USBC/RJ45 adaptators.

So is there some support from Dell as it was my 1st bought products (XPS + 2 Dell Monitors) ?

My Windows log does not see some errors when it dropps, only my vpn client :

The network interface for the VPN connection has gone down.

The IPsec connection to the secure gateway is down.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2021 19:00

I am adding the information as a suggestion for those having the same problem.   

Despite reading all about the problem,  changing and resetting multiple setting nothing worked.   So I decided just to live with the problem.   However, after I bought an Elecom USB-C Hub so I could plug my power and ethernet into the same port I notice that the ethernet never drops anymore.  The connection issues just go away.   There is something about it being plug into a hub that makes the problem go away.   As soon as I plug the ethernet directly into the port I start seeing drops again.    I am not suggesting this will fix everyone, but it is something to try. 

This is the hub I am using for those interested.  Elecom U3HC-A423P5BK

3 Posts

February 18th, 2021 05:00

Well it's good for you if you have found a workaround !

I play a lot with my setup and since yesterday i think it's stable.

First I updated the firmware with the latest available (Dell XPS 13 9310 BIOS 2.0.0 - 09 Feb 2021) : https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER07011862M/1/XPS_13_9310_2.0.0.exe 

Then I checked some warnings in the Windows Events Logs about some DistributedCOM failures. I granted all permissions errors for local service.

Then for my Dell Monitors I deleted and reinstalled (latest version) the Network Drivers and I changed the parameters in the Device Manager for my Reatek USB GbE Family Controller :

Adaptative Link Speed : Disabled

Ethernet Low Consumation : Disabled

Ethernet Green : Disabled

Idle Power Saving : Disabled

2 Days and no drop !

Fingers crossed.

24 Posts

May 20th, 2021 05:00

A common thread in all these complaints seems to be a USB-connected Realtek Ethernet device.

3 Posts

Hello,

Check all latest drivers update et BIOS for this laptop. I never had a disconnection since february with latest drivers. (and update Windows if needed)

24 Posts

Same problem on my 9310 (2020). I use the Anker PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB-C PD Media Hub. It has a RealTek USB GbE Family Controller (per the driver name in Device Manager).

When the network connection drops, I hear the sound that indicates a device was removed. Within seconds, I'll hear the corresponding tone for inserting a device, then the Ethernet connection works once again.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9300-2020-drops-ethernet/td-p/7685183 reports of a similar problem with the 9300. In that thread:

• One person says disabling "Energy-Efficient Ethernet" makes a difference. That might make sense, but others contradict that.
  • The same person says to also prevent auto-negotiation, but that makes no sense: re-negotiating a network connection does not cause the Ethernet device to disconnect.

24 Posts

@Cartman74 wrote:

Hello,

Check all latest drivers update et BIOS for this laptop. I never had a disconnection since february with latest drivers. (and update Windows if needed)

I am fully up to date through both Windows Update and Dell Command | Update. I am even running Windows 10 21H1.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2021 17:00

Experiencing the exact same issued as the OP with a brand new XPS13 9310. I'm dis/connecting from a brand new U2422HE monitor.

Dell Tech replaced the system-board with no improvement. Have the latest firmware and drivers installed. Any recent suggestions for a solution?

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2022 02:00

Hi, I have the same problem with my new XPS 13 9310 ! Most of the time it happens in video conferencing (like Microsoft Tams or zoom). Just installed this update https://www.realtektreiber.de/en/realtek-usb-fe-gbe-ethernet-controller-driver-download-update/

Still testing if this is solving my problem...

No Events found!