Start a Conversation

Unsolved

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 8th, 2022 13:00

XPS-13 (9310) BIOS & Firmware Updates

I have just successfully completed updating the Firmware in my XPS-13 (9310) from v2.0.0 all the way up to v3.5.1 .

For each one (did not skip any).
- Downloaded each .exe file (starting at v2.1.1) from Dell’s support area to local machine. Go to File-Properties and un-block it. I also quickly captured it’s full text description (to a text file).
- Connect AC-Adapter.
- Ran the updater-file in Windows and let it write firmwares (for new BIOS and all included sub-components) to UEFI-Firmware area.
- Clicked the Restart button to reboot the machine into UEFI-Environment (where it then processes any pending firmware updates).
- Carefully watched all progress messages. You should also get a green success message at the very end
- Be sure machine initially reboots properly (normal and fast).
- Run msinfo32 and check BIOS version
- In Control Panel/Device Manager , be sure it is still “clean” (all devices detected and no errors).
- I then run the updater file again in Windows (to verify all included sub-component firmwares were indeed applied). Then, just exit out (do not run full-procedure again).

After applying all I got to (including v3.5.1 circa March-2022), here are the final sub-component versions:
System BIOS with BIOSGuard: 3.5.1,
EC (Embedded Controller): 1.0.13, Backup EC: 1.0.11
Intel ME (both Consumer & Corporate): 15.0.35.2039
Integrated Sensor Hub: 5.4.1.4469
Integrated Sensor Hub PDT Data: 0.0.0.5
Cypress MCU FW: 17.61.11.1
BIOSConnect Core & Wireless FV: 1.19.6
Intel TbT Retimer-1&2: 2.0.22

- In BIOS, these are DISABLED: UEFI Capsule Firmware Updates, SupportAssist OS Recovery, BIOS-Connect.
- In BIOS, these are ENABLED: BIOS Recovery From HDD (or USB) and Allow BIOS Downgrade (Back-Flash).
- In BIOS, this machine is (of course) in UEFI mode and SecureBoot is Enabled.
- In BIOS, Storage is set to RAID. I don't see Intel-RST App loaded in Windows (but I think the Intel-RST core-drivers are being used). I do see that the Optane Memory & Storage Management v18.x App is installed.
Some of these are just my personal preference, but should hopefully still provide enough protection for me, while still providing a fast "BIOS-Post and system bootup"
Currently, my system cold-boots Windows-10 Pro (64 bit) … to a fully loaded and usable Windows Desktop in about 15 seconds. I use a Local Admin Account.

Dell and Microsoft rate this machine as Windows-11 Upgrade Ready, so I plan to do that next (Windows Update is already offering it).

Dell Rockstar

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Mark as Accepted Answer" on any post that answers your question best.

No Responses!
No Events found!