Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

April 25th, 2021 08:00

I formatted my hard drive and installed a completely clean version of Windows 10 (not from dells recovery partition). I have installed the latest Wi-Fi drivers (1.0.0.1428_A05_01) without Killer Control Center.

Sometimes it can take days or even weeks without any problems but then all of a sudden the error occurs with WiFi randomly shutting down and Windows Device Manager showing "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I am not convinced that there is a permanent solution to this problem yet.

35 Posts

April 25th, 2021 08:00

Free from Wifi-faults for 2 days now.

63 Posts

April 26th, 2021 05:00

Was doing ok for about the past day and a half and then got the Globe of Death this morning.   I thought that sometimes I would be able to get back from the wifi by putting it back to sleep and then coming back out of it, but not this time.

I'm sick of this.  I just want a 9310 without the AX500-DBS or my money back.  Dell support is next to useless when it comes to this problem.

63 Posts

April 26th, 2021 06:00

Yes, as recommended by another dell support rep in private messages. That was probably a mistake. The people that seem to be having better luck don't have that Killer Control Center installed.

• 

17K Posts

RoyBatty28,

I see from the notes that our engineers are working on this issue.  Hopefully,  they will have a resolution soon.

• 

17K Posts

RoyBatty28,

Have you reinstalled the killer control center? 

35 Posts

April 26th, 2021 07:00

I agree. It sounds to me like an echo of what all the Dell support technicians told me to do, leading me through hours of trial and error, without success. Just out of experience: Dell does not know how to fix this.

122 Posts

RoyBatty28 - Remove that killer control centre - you may need to remove everything killer then reinstall drivers again before rebooting or maybe perform the whole ritual again 

I gave you my sentiments earlier re Dells suggestion to you - in plural!!

Dell has been trying to sort this from at least last November since I got my laptop so I would the Dell engineers have been working on the problem since then!!

Sounds like another Dell customer sweetener to me!!

63 Posts

@DELL-Jesse L - that is very good to hear.

16 Posts

April 26th, 2021 08:00

Enter the BIOS and under "Performance", disable "c-states".

For me, that has completely eliminated the wifi adapter fail (no networks found, Code 10 from the device manager). 

The downside is that battery life is impacted negatively because it prevents the processor from entering some low-power states.  Eliminating "sleep" on the power menu does not fix the problem for me but turning off "c-states" does.  I recommend turning hibernation on.  Of course, the penalty for that is losing "instant" wake up.

This is far from an optimal solution but I'd be curious to see if it is generally applicable to others suffering from this wifi issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 26th, 2021 09:00

@dpaul9 Are these systems Modern Standby systems?  If so, maybe folks are just misunderstanding how they are supposed to work.

Is any of this related to geographical location such as Europe where a different Wi-Fi standard is used from the US?

April 26th, 2021 10:00

@Saltgrass interesting thoughts. However, there was someone in the thread who had the same WiFi issue on Ubuntu. That should mean that it is not related to Windows or the Win Killer drivers.

122 Posts

Saltgrass - these laptops appear to be Modern Standby systems.

You have made an interesting point re - wi-fi standards. I do not have the knowledge to comment on this but I would hope that as Dell sells computers all over the world they would have the necessary knowledge! ( I think or is it hope?)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

@gando1 I was wondering about the International due to the references to AX500..  All of the systems I see show an AX1650 so possibly Dell as a special driver for some reason and rebranded the adapters.

The reason I look at Modern Standby is because many folks don't understand and make changes to their systems to get around it.  If that had been done, then the card might not behave correctly.

I have an XPS 9365 2-in-1 which has an Intel card and Modern Standby.  I assume the AX1650 cards are compatible with Modern Standby..  If they weren't completely, there may be problems coming out of low power mode and finding a network, even though they do access the network while in low power mode.

But logs, as I mentioned earlier, along with a Sleep Study report may add info to help at least see what is happening..  I wonder if the 21H1 Win 10 release is involved in compatibility situations.

Thanks for the response

35 Posts

April 26th, 2021 11:00

@Saltgrass If I am not mistaken, AX500 is used for all i7 11th gen 32 GB XPS13 9310. We all here have these 32GB XPS 13 9310 which are making trouble with wifi.

No Events found!