Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2018 12:00

XPS 13 9343 plugged in, not charging & AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

My XPS 13 (2015) is out of warranty. When hovering over the battery icon in the task bar I get "plugged in, not charging."

I've attempted all the online fixes: (1) tried a new AC adapter, (2) blew dust out of the AC adapter plug and power jack, (3) updating BIOS and chipset to most recent drivers, (4) uninstalled the Microsoft AC Adapter and ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers, shut down, disconnected battery, and held down the power button for 1 min, and (5) replaced the power jack.

According to the BIOS, the battery health is excellent, the AC adapter is not being detected ("AC Adapter = Unknown"). I have two and neither are working. Everytime I restart I get the message, "Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available."

What else remains to fix this?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 18th, 2018 12:00

If you've already tried a known good AC adapter and replaced the power jack, the culprit would be the charging unit built onto the motherboard, which unfortunately is neither a simple nor inexpensive fix if you're outside the warranty period.  I've seen this many times over several years of working in IT for companies that have hundreds of Dell systems deployed, and it's always either the AC adapter, the jack (this is fairly rare), or the motherboard -- except in one recent case where the cause of this issue turned out to be the Dell AC adapter dongle that allows AC adapters with the larger and more common barrel connector to be used with systems that use the newer, small barrel receptacle.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 19th, 2018 04:00

The only other possible cause is a bad charge circuit - meaning a replacement mainboard.

January 20th, 2018 19:00

I appreciate the response and fear that the motherboard may be the issue, given the replacement price.

Twice today, including now, the laptop has actually started charging out of nowhere, either saying "Plugged in, charging" or "x min to full charge." I haven't done anything different. Earlier, when it reached 100% I unplugged and moved it off the table from where it had been sitting. Later, went to replug and the same, "Plugged in, not charging." Now 30 minutes later, I see it's charging again. Would this suggest something other than the motherboard, a loose connection somewhere? I've already replaced and secured the power jack.

6 Posts

July 14th, 2018 03:00

I've also been experiencing this issue for quite some time now. Funny how lots of problems seem to appear out of nowhere after warranty expires. (I'm also getting the multiple keypress issues).

I take good care of my 9343 and have never dropped it. I can't imagine that my power adapter is at fault as leaving it plugged in and not moving the laptop or charger; it will charge at random (although very rarely it ever decides to).

I just have to re-plug the adapter until it accepts a charge. I get power on via AC no problem, just stupid wattage error messages and typically no charging.

No Events found!