Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:27

August 6th, 2018 06:00

Again also for me.... 

This company is very funny...

14 Posts

August 12th, 2018 07:00

Some updates on my side (GOOD NEW : IT WORKS NOW !) 

I just did a fresh reinstall again of Windows 10 Pro with the lastest available ISO.

I'm on BIOS version 1.7.0.

Then I've let Windows install all the drivers himself (I just installed the Wifi driver manually).

And everything seems to work now ! The Intel Graphics drivers 23.20.16.4973 from 28/02/2018 have been installed automatically and everything works perfectly !

I restarted the system many times, and so far I don't have any problem.

For information, the laptop stayed in his case for many weeks, I didn't touch it even if I installed Ubuntu on it and it was working. But after many tries to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, I gave up as each time I got the black screen after the graphic drivers installation (automatically and manually)... So when I plugged in and turned on the laptop yesterday, there was no battery at all and I had to wait many minutes before I could start it again.

So I think it did the same as the people who unplugged the battery and hold the power button for 1 minute.

I hope it will keep working from now. :)

Any update for you ?

14 Posts

To delete (triple post)...

14 Posts

To delete (triple post)...

August 18th, 2018 14:00

Count me in for a very dim black screen for no apparent reason. I've updated all drivers on the dell site now using a monitor. No way to get screen back to proper functioning. Can someone here refer me to the best documentation for solving this? A quick side note is that the new Galaxy S9 Plus low light camera actually makes my screen viewable. Doesn't do me much good but to see the screen when i don't have a monitor. 

So what's the solution? Tx.

25 Posts

August 25th, 2018 00:00

No, any solution.... 

Thanks to dell...

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 22:00

Yelling into the void here, but I hope Dell sees it. Today my company agreed that it was time to purchase me a new work laptop. I chose a Lenovo. A year ago I bought a Dell XPS 13 and I absolutely loved it until the black screen problem happened and Dell completely ignored its customers. If Dell had done right by its customers and fixed the issue, my company would have shelled out $2k to Dell today. Dell will never see another dollar of mine. I'm not bitter or enraged, it's just business, when you treat someone poorly they likely won't want to do business with you again. I will certainly pass on my experiences with Dell to others as well.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2018 01:00

Completely agree. 

This issue hit me a few weeks back. Was happy to see my laptop working again after the battery trick, but this was only to last a few days. 

Still nobody with a solution? 

Cheers.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

October 4th, 2018 11:00

This problem has haunted us for over nearly two years now and nothing - absolutely nothing from Dell. They simply put their head in the sand and told us to move on. And they call this customer service....

6 Posts

October 8th, 2018 02:00

Such a shame. What do you do with your XPS now? Leave it unused? Or just with the graphics module disabled? 

5 Posts

November 4th, 2018 16:00

Problem Solved

After Bios updated from 1.6 to 1.7 my screen went black as well, so, I spend 3 weeks on the phone with WORTHLESS oversea Dell customer support. NO solution for the problem. A completely wasted of time.

By troubleshooting, I discovered that under Windows 10 Safe mode monitor driver was disabled and iris 540 driver was enabled, so the screen was working fine, and the problem was not in the display video chip. Furthermore, now I sure that during Bios update to 1.7, the firmware of the monitor chip was updated as well. 

To verify my suspicion, I did a little experiment. I took the screen from my other working Dell XPS 9343 and installed to 9350. Everything was working flawlessly. So, I went on Ebay, and bought a new screen for my 9350. Currently so far so good.

Thank you Dell for releasing untested Bios update , and making me spend money to fix this problem that was created by YOU.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

November 7th, 2018 10:00

Glad you got yours working Evo. However my BIOS is still on v1.6.1 and constant black screens. The only workaround I found was to disable the Intel Iris Graphics 540 driver and configure with the standard Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This helps with black screen problems but brings with it other issues. You are so correct - this is a Dell problem. I have complained to them numerous times over the past nearly two years without any resolution or even much of any serious interest in helping. They just keep putting their head in the sand and say too bad. Oh, I should mention, they did have a resolution. Since mine is out of warranty, I could send in the machine and for $360 they would "fix it" - I said no.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2018 16:00

Hi,

I know that by using  the basic driver laptop works, however, your Graphic card does not work properly, and you are having a lag on the screen. you will need a new screen monitor because the firmware is updated on the monitor. If you can boot under safe mode, check device manager. You will see that the monitor driver is disabled, and if you enable the iris 540 driver everything will work without any issues. So the problem is not in the video card, is the the monitor chip.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2018 17:00

furthermore, by using dell support, I went trough at least 5 windows re installation. NO solution, last guy was cleaning  the tempt files and emptying the trash bin in order to make the resolve the graphic card problems. You can image their level of competence, or I should say incompetence. BWT that was the guy with the highest level of expertise. If you are little handy just go on ebay and get a screen for $120-140.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

November 10th, 2018 10:00

More like $200+ for touch screen.  This surely does not bode well for Dell but then, from all else that has been posted on this subject, it's about all I could expect from them.  And this post (i.e., my comment) is coming from a long time true Dell supporter - sadly, no more.

No Events found!