Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2018 06:00

XPS 13 9350 won't power on

Hi,

Today I tried to turn on my laptop but it would not power up. My warranty is expired one month. I have carried out all the steps regarding unplugging the battery etc. but but no success. Can you please tell me what my options are?

Regards,

Declan

May 27th, 2018 07:00

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. However I managed to resolve the issue.

I disconnected all the visible cables (battery, monitor, SSD, WLAN etc) then held the power button for 20 seconds. Reconnected all cables and replaced the cover. It then powered up successfully. Phew.

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647634443880.png

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

May 27th, 2018 06:00

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery. Hold the power button for 30 sec.

Verify that the AC adapter LED is ON.  If it's not, replace the adapter.

Plug in the adapter but leave the battery disconnected.  If the system will power up, but won't with the battery installed, the battery is bad.

If it still won't power up, the mainboard is bad.  Depending on the CPU you have, a replacement board will run between $350 (i3/integrated video) and $600 (i7 and nVidia video) - plus labor to install.  You may be better off seeing if Dell will allow a warranty extension - it will likely still run you $300-400 for a year, but will cost less than a single mainboard replacement.

1 Message

September 1st, 2018 07:00

Thanks, I was having the same issues and nothing worked.  I saw your post, disconnected every connector, removed the lan card, ssd, and held the power button down.  After reconnecting everthing and pressing the power button, the keyboard flashed, monitor lit up and a BIOS error came up for "invalid date and time".  Reset date and time, and it's up and running.

Thanks again.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2018 00:00

you're a champ!

1 Message

October 3rd, 2018 21:00

This happened to me too.... this is the 2nd time  I had to unscrew and unplug everything and reset the time... is this a known issue ? I actually go a week or so without using my laptop and the battery is dead ( but I always shut down before ) is this what is causing the issue ???

1 Message

November 10th, 2018 02:00

Mine is flashing 2 amber and 1 white. Working fine but not anymore. Can’t remove cover as under warranty. Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

November 10th, 2018 04:00

This is a CPU or mainboard failure - the mainboard/CPU needs replacement;  call Dell for warranty service.

1 Message

November 29th, 2018 22:00

Anyone with this issue should try unplugging the coin cell battery and then reattaching it.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 07:00

Thank you ejn63... It worked. After unplugging the cmos battery, main battery and holding down the power button for 30 seconds it fixed itself. You are a champ. Thanks again for your help man... really appreciate it.

December 17th, 2018 03:00

I have a Dell XPS 13, I turn on the power the power button lights up white, then on for a few minutes, then turns off and back on. I have taken out the battery, discharged and put back in still does it. I have tried f2,f8, f12 nothing. anyone help? thanks

1 Message

February 11th, 2019 20:00

Also this problem of the power light on/off at boot time and never the initial Dell screen and also no error indications, and unpredictable when it will happen.  I disconnect the coin cell battery as well as the main battery, and hold down the power switch for 20+ seconds.  Then there's a good boot with having to reset the date/time in the BIOS.  

March 8th, 2019 03:00

I'm having the same issue but removing both batteries and draining the power did not resolve it.

There seems to be power going to the system but the screen remains black. If I hold "D" and power on the system it goes through the color display test fine.

If I try to press "Ctrl" & "Esc" and plug the power to get into BIOS recovery the screen remains blank.

Not sure what else to try or is the motherboard/CPU goosed? Very expensive to replace. Laptop is nearly three years old and out of warranty.

1 Message

March 14th, 2019 20:00

Same thing happened to my Dell XPS-13 second time tonight. First time was resolved by disconnecting power and drained its residue, unfortunately not working tonight after a couple trials of disconnecting & draining power.  Very frustrating, I bought this laptop at Costco in Nov. of 2017, less than 16 months and black screen happened twice. Is the warranty only a year from Dell? I will try to contact service tomorrow.

1 Message

July 15th, 2019 09:00

My resolution is similar, but without needing to remove the back cover or disconnect the battery cable.  I left the charger cable connected, pressed and held the power button for seconds until the front 'charging' LED blinked 3 times, then I released the power button.  The charging LED blinked again 4 times, then the keyboard backlights came on.  After a minute, the screen came on and displayed a warning about system time needing to be adjusted, as you mentioned as well.  Once I corrected the system date and time in BIOS, I restarted the system and Windows booted successfully to the login screen.  I rebooted again just to be sure all is well.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

August 18th, 2019 11:00

I confirm - if you have the problem like this -  your computer doesn`t want to go to diagnostic mode (as mine), it is not responding after pressing power button - no display, no fan,  -, remove power cord from AC adapter, unplug the main battery AND the CMOS small coin battery - it is really ease to find it - under the main battery - you can see a lot of photos on Google about the placement of the small battery - then press power button for about 30 sec or more to flush the remaining energy. Reconnect the CMOS battery, the main battery, plug in power cord from AC adapter and power on. It should work - you will get 3 orange, 1 white light - then message about date and time failure - ignore it and then try to reboot. You can change the date and time in Windows after rebooting.

Wow - I was sure my MB is gone  

No Events found!