Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 10:00

XPS 13 9360 Boot Configuration Data Blue Screen

I have had this laptop for two years with an upgraded HDD: Samsung 950PRO PCIe SSD 512GB.  I have a pretty recent backup but need a file I worked on yesterday, desperately.

Yesterday I used the computer without problem.  Last night started getting and instant blue screen:

"Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

File: \BCD

Error Code: 0xc0000098"

The other issue I've intermittently had is every once and a while I would get a BitLocker error on startup where it was asking for the key.  All I had to do was turn it off/on again and it would boot as normal.

Now I'm just fighting the BCD error.

I have followed all of the Dell/Microsoft articles on this error.  I am able to boot from a Windows 10 Install DVD, automatic startup repair cannot fix the error.

In the Command Prompt the BOOTREC commands do nothing.  I cannot switch to the C:\ Drive.

In DISKPART, LIST VOL and LIST DISK there is nothing but the DVD drive listed.

When I try Reset this PC, Keep my files, I get this error:

"Reset this PC

The drive where Windows is installed is locked.  Unlock the drive and try again."

Inside the BIOS (2.7.1 btw) when I select "Add Boot Option" I am able to traverse the directories and select bootx64.efi.  Also under Dell Diagnostics the Hard Drive passes the test.

I have ordered an external PCIe to USB adapter to see if I can plug it into my desktop to get the data off, but I have to wait until tomorrow.

If I am overlooking something I would appreciate any advice.

Only other item of note is I don't remember ever turning on BitLocker.  This computer does have the Absolute LoJack for Laptops on it and was wondering if that somehow is related.

Thanks in advance.

Loungesong

No Responses!
No Events found!