Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2019 11:00

XPS 13 9360, heating up while charging

I have the 9360 model which is just 1 week old. Problem is that the underneath of laptop gets really hot while charging even when its shut down. I usually put it to charge when the battery reaches 40%. Is this a normal behaviour or should I get it checked? While I checked the laptop after an hour of charging, heat seems to have reduced but hasn't still gone. I never had my dell latitude e6430 behaving like this so a bit curious.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Sujithsa007 

Check your Power Management settings =

Default Adaptive:

Adaptive — Automatically optimizes battery settings based on the user’s typical patterns. Recommended for users who want to “set it and forget it.”

Primarily AC — Extends battery life by lowering the charge threshold, so that the battery never charges to 100 percent capacity. Recommended for users who primarily operate the system while plugged into an external power source.

Custom — User selects when the battery starts and stops charging. Recommended for "Advanced Users".

Dell Command Power Manager User Guide

XPS 13 Service Manual

Best regards,
U2

August 2nd, 2019 04:00

I was able to diagnose the issue and found out that the laptop was over cooking at full performance causing the system to heat up. While I throttled it down, the temps went normal. Also noted that plugged in usage normally has higher clocks than on battery, hence a bit high on the heating part. I ran a full BIOS diagnostics and it seems to be fine. But one thing that I felt bad was that battery was showing 96% health, and I charged just two times, and the battery never went below 40%. If the battery degrades like this, thenI suspect it hardly would last three years

9.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 04:00

Hi Sujithsa007,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

While this may be working as designed, we can troubleshoot with you further if you would like.

You may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

9.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 05:00

Glad you were able to resolve some of the issues.  With regards to the battery, they have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles and with normal use, will last around a year to a year and a half.

If you are still needing assistance, please send your Service Tag number in private, thanks.

August 2nd, 2019 07:00

Yes I did. I have set it to custom between 50% to 85%. Also I set the thermal management to cool while charging since it operates in low clock speed and hence less heat. Once the threshold reaches, I put it back to optimized since I work on tools like Android Studio and have at-least 10 to 15 tabs open in chrome at the same time. Thanks for helping out. Its a great helping community out here at Dell. Appreciate it
No Events found!