Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2018 22:00

XPS 13 9360, motherboard failure after 2 months

I bought a Dell XPS 13 9360 in the US in June, 2018. I started facing a hinge problem as early as one month of purchase. It was making clicking sounds when it was opened or closed. Applied a fix and it was ok, had to tighten the screws on the back panel.

One month later i.e 2 months after purchase,on normal day, my laptop decided not to switch ON. The light on the power button would come ON for 5 sec and go OFF. I immediately called up customer care, and after an hour of online test they told me that my motherboard had to be replaced. I was in India for a while and had to send my laptop back to the US for repairs under warranty. While my laptop was in transit, i looked up this forum and a few other for this issue. Was extremely disappointed and shocked to find out that this issue is not only common with the 9360, but also with previous model.

I wrote a mail to dell with all the links to the dell forums where this issue was mentioned and asked them for a refund or upgrade me to a model where these issue were fixed. The reply from Dell is, and I quote

"We truly apologize that the system was not powering on; as per Dell policy and the purchased warranty stipulations, we would request you to ship the system to the Repair Depot and we will have our technicians check the hardware and get this issue resolved for you. Regarding the refund request, a refund is only allowed within the first 30 days from the date of invoice."

So even if the motherboard issue is so serious, Dell is not ready to refund or upgrade our PCs even after they have received multiple complaints with the exact same problem, not only from this model but a problem that has been evident in previous generations of the XPS 13. It is understandable if it occurs after maybe a couple of years of using it. But a motherboard failure in just 2 months for a premium laptop is just not acceptable.

247 Posts

February 16th, 2019 08:00

I think 30 days is pretty good, I believe Apple's for example is 14 days. Just for comparison. 30 days is plenty generous for a buyer to discover any obvious known defects in a product. Yes, its always frustrating to have these issues creep up just after that deadline. But that is what the standard warranty is for, to address any issues and to fix them. You will be hard pressed to find a PC maker that will refund you after 30 days except for possibly a catastrophic failure that would make the PC unrepairable. If its a motherboard this is not the end of the world, they can replace the motherboard and fix the issue. In almost any product there is a percentage of issues this is why most products have a warranty. 

No Events found!