Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

December 24th, 2019 02:00

XPS 13 9365 hard reboot after entering hibernate mode

Hi guys,

Since I got the XPS 13 9365 I have been having some troubles with the sleep/hibernate/power on functions. I was able to solve the power on problem (each time I was switching on the laptop I had to do it twices, as the first time it was just showing the DELL black screen buand getting stuck there) by disabling the W10 option "fast startup".

But now I have to deal with another situation. Each time I put my computer to sleep its working properly, but if I wait 31 minutes before trying to use it again, it gets stuck in the DELL black screen and I have to make another hard reset by pressing the physical button for 4 seconds. At the end I finish losing all applications I was working with. After some tests I realised that the problem is not related with sleep mode but with hibernate. In fact, the problem reproduce each time I send my computer directly to hibernate mode. For the moment I found a workaround by disabling the possibility of my computer arriving to hibernate mode, so it will always remain in sleep mode.

I would like to know if any of you guys had the same issue and was able to solve it somehow. Sadly I cant say accuritily when this started to happen, but I think that its been with me for more than a year already.

By the way, I have all the drivers, including BIOS, updated to the last version released few days ago, but the issue persists.

Kind regards,

Arnaldo

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 24th, 2019 11:00

The types of things you are describing are directly related to the Modern Standby operation of the system.  If you understand how that behaves it may be something else, but do you have a working knowledge of Modern Standby and how it behaves?

3 Posts

December 25th, 2019 02:00

Hi Saltgrass, thanks for the answer. Im afraid I have never hear about this Modern Standby operation you are mentioning. I have searching at internet and found some people complaining about Modern Standby in XPS, but I havent found a explanation of how it works and why it could be related with my issue. Could you please give me more information?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 25th, 2019 09:00

This is an old video but it does explain the basic operation or expected operation.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby-in-Windows-10

20 Posts

December 25th, 2019 11:00

That modern system explanation was very useful to my 9365, since I had the same type of problems you described.

I eliminated the SLEEP selection everywhere, and replaced it with HYBERNATE.  Look in POWER SETTINGS, advanced settings, and change all the SLEEP settings to HYBERATE.   

And then move Sleep from the Start Menu in Windows 10
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Go to System - Power & sleep.
  3. On the right, click on the link Additional power settings.
  4. The following dialog window will be opened. On the left, click "Choose what the power buttons do":
  5. Click the Change Settings that are currently unavailable link. The Shutdown options will become editable.

Now when I hybernate, the system shuts down quicky, and restarts with a touch of the power button.  Just went through this stuff yesterday...and today on power up, the beauty popped on...very happy!

Try it..it works.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 25th, 2019 18:00

When my system is on battery, I usually set the display to turn off in 15 minutes, which puts it into low power mode.  After that I allow it to stay there for two hours before it goes into hibernation.

The sleep option doesn't seem to have much effect, but if you were using iTunes and playing music, the music would continue after the display turns off until the sleep timer is reached or hibernation kicks in.

Be patient with the power button since it may be doing something and if you don't give it time, the system may actually be forced to reboot by hitting the power button again.

3 Posts

December 26th, 2019 01:00

Hi joliett3. It is curious, as my problem seems to be the opposite as yours. In my case, I had to remove the hibernate option everywhere and substitute it for sleep. At least with this change my laptop is taking less than 5 seconds to be completely operative after coming back from sleep mode.

When it enters into hibernate there is no way to make it continue from the Dell startup screen unless you make a hard reset by pushing the physical buttom. I have waited for more than 5 minutes and nothing happens, the laptop just get stuck in the Dell screen.

No Events found!