Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2018 09:00

XPS 13-9370, Disable Dynamic Brightness Control?

I have found a fix and drivers / updates for previous versions of Dell XPS - but for the 9370 there is no Dynamic Brightness Control fix - and an option to Disable.  How can I enable / disable dynamic brightness ? Is it built into the settings anywhere or do I have to wait for Dell to release a fix for this as well?

The fix for 9360 is right here: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/XPS-13-9360-vs-Dynamic-Contrast-Brightness/td-p/5148632

BUT I need this for the 9370 - please HELP!

Thanks!

2 Posts

July 26th, 2018 12:00

FIX FOUND

After consulting a few colleagues at work I have found the fix - that no one mentions in any post online.

You can go into BIOS settings (hit F2 as you are restarting your computer) - and DISABLE Dynamic Brightness Control in the display options. I don't know if you need to update the laptop to the LATEST bios to have this option (I did the update).

Hope this helps someone and avoids tons of aggravation of constant screen color flickering.

1 Message

October 26th, 2018 17:00

Thank you so much Dell_Guy ! It was driving me crazy...

When I went into BIOS settings, the option was called "Dynamic Backlight Control" located under the "Video" section.

I also found this thread (more recent), which deals with the same issue : https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9370-13-quot-HD-screen-colour-tone-problem/td-p/6032522

And Tobias0815 gave a useful tool to check if the screen is affected by "dynamic brightness" or not : http://tylerwatt12.com/dc/

:)

1 Message

February 15th, 2019 01:00

Holy moly thank you so much for this, I have been looking for so long and I found the answer to what has been annoying me and making me dislike my laptop. Thank you!

3 Posts

March 11th, 2019 23:00

In the current latest BIOS (1.8.1) the Dynamic Brightness Control seems to be removed or I couldn't find it.

147 Posts

March 12th, 2019 08:00

@TakeOnMe wrote:
In the current latest BIOS (1.8.1) the Dynamic Brightness Control seems to be removed or I couldn't find it.

Can someone else confirm? If this is true, I'm glad I stayed on 1.6.3.

2 Posts

May 1st, 2019 19:00

I have 1.8.1, and have the Dynamic Backlight Control under the Video settings link.

147 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 20:00

OK. I got into the BIOS, but I had to do it through Windows Recovery which offers an option to access the BIOS (UEFI). When booting using the previous BIOS, Dell had a brief statement during the boot sequence which tells you to press F2 to boot into the BIOS. This statement is no longer present in version 1.9.0. So it seems you must do this through Windows now. I'm going to make a separate post about the steps to follow.

If someone is running version 1.9.0 and still has the F2 option, I'd be interested in hearing about that.

P.S. The setting to disable Dynamic Backlight Control is still present in 1.9.0.

147 Posts

I suppose the next question is whether Dynamic Backlight Control is still present in BIOS version 1.9.0, which is the current version. I may take a chance anyway since the current BIOS is intended to deal with a security vulnerability identified by Intel.

147 Posts

I just updated the BIOS to 1.9.0, and now I can't boot into the BIOS at all. I've tried several times by holding down F2 during the boot sequence, and the computer just boots into Windows.

1 Message

November 25th, 2019 06:00

Thank you so much! I recently got Dell G3 15 3590 and the constant changing of brightness was getting so annoying! I can't quite understand why is that setting hidden in BIOS - I see a lot of tutorials pointing to Power plans or Intel Command Centre, but the option to turn it off was missing in both of them.

No Events found!