Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

September 24th, 2022 14:00

XPS 13 Plus Sound issues

XPS 13 Plus 9320

XPS 13 Plus 9320

Since getting the XPS Plus I've had no end of sound issues.

I can go to the volume control and adjust that and hear the system sounds fine, however, if I open a youtube video I get no sound but the video plays.

If I then go into audio settings and find the option for "Audio enhancements" turn that off then back on again it then magically starts working. 

This seems to be a constant battle as I can then close youtube and do some work and reopen it later to play something and again the sound has gone, or quite often it'll even fail to load the video and eventually display a message about being unable to render audio.

tempted to return this and go back to another brand as this is the first time I've ever had a laptop with sound issues like this.

All my drivers are up to date, I've installed nothing that would cause this issue.
Running the latest version of windows 11.

Is there a solution to this? 

September 27th, 2022 15:00

The issue I am facing with my 9320 (maybe related) is that everytime Windows Plays its sounds (alerts, notifications...) it "locks" the sound card. Discovered when adjusting volume using taskbar (it plays a Windows Sound when you do so). No other application can use Sound since (even Edge with Youtube video but no sound). That is what I thing is the trigger. Work around: No Windows Sounds.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 27th, 2022 19:00

@DanielBMLago wrote:

The issue I am facing with my 9320 (maybe related) is that everytime Windows Plays its sounds (alerts, notifications...) it "locks" the sound card. Discovered when adjusting volume using taskbar (it plays a Windows Sound when you do so). No other application can use Sound since (even Edge with Youtube video but no sound). That is what I thing is the trigger. Work around: No Windows Sounds.

Good post and troubleshooting.

Yes, XPS-13 (9320) is a similar model, yet slightly different motherboard hardware. In general, both sounds like driver problems or Windows conflict.

Funny, my XPS-13 (9310) suffers neither of these problems. Yes, also slightly different hardware. I'm running Windows-11 on it these days. 

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

September 27th, 2022 23:00

Thanks, I'll give that a try today see if that's a decent workaround for this

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

September 29th, 2022 02:00

Thanks, that seems to have sorted it so far.

October 14th, 2022 09:00

Literally IDENTICAL problem. This is surely a general issue. Why hasn't Dell fixed this? Same YouTube issues and hangs and doesn't play/pauses . Close and open browser, sometimes eventually works. Otherwise have to reboot notebook.

If I change volume in taskbar, I can hear it chime - so sound is working. But no YouTube sound. If in a Zoom, can't even find audio renderer to connect when it 'breaks'. I'll disable Windows Sounds and test that. Had tried everything before (uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers etc).

Dell?

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

October 14th, 2022 14:00

Yep it's annoying that dell aren't looking into this.

But can confirm, since turning off system sounds it's been fine.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

October 14th, 2022 21:00

Did all of you at least checked if Dell Command Update app has anything to update?

Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application

or

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-13-9320-laptop/drivers 

There was also bios update in Sept.

October 14th, 2022 22:00

Yep, everything updated. Completed bios update. Wouldn’t be here if hadn’t tried everything. It’s a problem not sorted yet by Dell.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

October 14th, 2022 22:00

Yep all up to date here using Windows update and the dell command update, also with selecting all the optional updated as well.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

October 15th, 2022 01:00

can you tell me the Realtek audio driver version it has in device manager?

Try to uninstall diver with "delete the driver sw from this system" checkbox, restart and let windows install it's own drv from windows updates automatically

October 15th, 2022 02:00

As per screenshot.

Screenshot.jpg

October 15th, 2022 02:00

Can confirm since turning of all windows sounds, no issues as well.

10 Posts

October 17th, 2022 17:00

Same issue here.  Thinking of getting rid of the machine. Sound issues on xps 13 9305, worse on 9320.  Seems like Dell can't make these XPS 13's reliable.  Many other issues too.

Turning off Windows systems sounds is a band aid not a solution.  

November 4th, 2022 10:00

same issue here. by adjusting the slide bar, I can hear the system sound, and the built-in mp4 player (called movie or something?) can play sound normally, but other player like potplayer will play the offline video without sound. However, online video like youtube or some other video website will tell me audio render error, some of them can't play the video at all and ask me to reboot the machine while some website can play the video without sound. \

I just keep running into different problems. Dell and Microsoft, please do better, I'm tired of troubleshooting.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2022 06:00

Is this a hardware issue or a driver/Windows 11 issue? Has anyone downgraded to Windows 10 to see if this issue persists?

No Events found!