Start a Conversation

Unsolved

_

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 4th, 2019 12:00

XPS 13 9370, battery degradation

Within one year my XPS 13 9370 battery is reporting a 63.9% capacity. Under normal usage with CPU frequency scaling at power save, screen dim just above minimal, fan usually off, this gives me just 2,5 hours without charger. This does not seem normal to me. I only use the Dell TB16 docking station and Dell charger for charging. Does anybody have similar experience?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 4th, 2019 13:00

This Dell support page will give you more information. Dell states that battery life will be reduced after 18 - 24 months. But if you are a power user it could be less.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 4th, 2019 14:00

Thank you for your reply. I already saw that page. It states:

"Normal characteristic of a rechargeable battery is that the charge capacity reduces gradually with each discharge-charge cycle. Typically, you will notice reduced battery life after 18–24 months."

It does not say what 'noticeable reduce battery life' means. Is that 10% degradation, 40%, or a 100% degradation? 100% I would notice for sure, 10% I would most probably not notice, 40% is noticeable for me.

I know that batteries degrade over time and especially with many charge cycles. Thing is, I usually do not discharge and charge, since the XPS13 is connected to the TB16. I only occasionally work at other places where I need to have a few hours of battery.

It is advertised as having 12+ hours of battery charge under normal conditions. Some browsing, some text editing, screen dim, no sound, WiFi/BT on, PowerSave on, seems to me as normal usage. 2.5 hours is nowhere near those 12+ hours advertised.

Almost 40% degradation is far more than noticeable reduced battery life, and 11 months is much shorter than 18-24 months.

September 5th, 2023 08:16

mine is 1 3/4 years old and it last a maximum of 3 hours 30 minutes.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 5th, 2023 11:23

Battery degradation is a common concern for laptop users, including those with Dell XPS 13 laptops. Over time, laptop batteries lose their capacity, which means they can hold less charge and need to be recharged more frequently. Here are some tips on understanding and managing battery degradation:

1. Understanding Battery Degradation:

• Lithium-ion batteries, which are commonly used in laptops, naturally degrade over time due to chemical reactions that occur during charging and discharging.
    • Battery life is typically measured in charge cycles, where one cycle represents a full charge and discharge. Most laptop batteries are designed to retain about 80% of their original capacity after 300-500 charge cycles, but this can vary.
  2. Use Battery Saver Mode:

• Windows laptops, including Dell XPS models, usually have a "Battery Saver" mode that can help extend battery life. This mode reduces background activities and adjusts system settings to minimize power consumption.
  3. Optimize Power Settings:

• Adjusting your laptop's power settings can help reduce battery wear. You can access these settings in the Windows Control Panel under "Power Options." Consider using the "Balanced" or "Power Saver" power plans when on battery power.
  4. Avoid Extreme Temperatures:

• High temperatures can accelerate battery degradation. Try to avoid using your laptop in very hot or cold environments. Store your laptop in a cool, dry place when not in use.
  5. Partial Discharges are Okay:

• Unlike older battery technologies, lithium-ion batteries do not have a "memory effect." You can charge them at any state of charge, and you don't need to completely discharge them before recharging.
  6. Calibrate Your Battery (Occasionally):

• Some users find that periodically calibrating the battery can help improve its accuracy in reporting charge levels. To do this, fully charge the battery and then discharge it until the laptop shuts down. Charge it back to 100% without interruptions.
  7. Reduce Background Apps:

• Close unnecessary background applications and processes to reduce the workload on the CPU and, indirectly, the battery.
  8. Limit Charging to 80%:

• Some laptops offer an option to limit charging to around 80% to prolong battery life. Dell calls this feature "Dell Optimizer." You can enable it in the Dell Power Manager software.
  9. Replace the Battery:

• If your laptop's battery life has significantly deteriorated, and it's out of warranty, you can consider replacing the battery. Dell or a certified technician can do this for you.
  10. Battery Health Monitoring:

• Modern laptops often come with built-in battery health monitoring tools or utilities that can provide insights into your battery's condition. Check your laptop's user manual or the Dell website for information on how to access and use these tools.

It's important to note that battery degradation is a natural process, and while you can take steps to slow it down, it cannot be completely prevented. However, by following these tips, you can help extend the lifespan of your Dell XPS 13's battery and maintain its performance for longer.

No Events found!