XPS

Last reply by 01-27-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper
1 Copper

XPS 13 or 2-in-1 with ubuntu

Hello ! 

I'm considering getting an XPS 13 for school next year and the 2-in-1 version seems like a strict upgrade. 

However, I will be mainly doing programming on ubuntu and was worried it wouldn't be as compatible as with a standard xps 13, which seem seamless in this aspect. 

Would you still recommend 2-in-1 over XPS 13 for a linux user ? How good is its linux compatibility ? 

Oh, and sidenote : do the XPS 13s get hot or loud under load ? 

Thanks 

Replies (5)

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

3 Silver

@StatistyxWelcome to the forum! XPS 13 9310 2-in-1 Linux user here. Everything working seamless here, except the fingerprint reader, which is not supported under Linux. So I can only recommend that device, I am very happy with it. All the Linux issues there were have been already sorted out.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to follow up.

I would recommend using a kernel more recent than 5.11 for the tablet mode switch to work: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=212537

Yes the device gets hot under load on the upper part of the bottom where the CPU is seated (mostly when plugged in, i.e. in situations when you don't have the laptop on your lap anyway). I think this is to expect with Intel CPUs on such thin devices. But I never had any overheating problems with the device despite stressing the device with compiling kernels etc.

I am very happy to read this message since I am about to order an XPS 13 9310 2-in-1 and for me it is crutial to be able to put Ubuntu on it

And by the way once I am able to accomplish this I will be very happy to share the information and procedures with other members of this forum. If there is anybody that has already gone through the task of installing ubuntu on the xps 13 9310 2-in-1 I would be very glad to receive some help.

7 Thorium

Before buying, consult with your university's recommendations for hardware -- an ultralight 13" system, whether clamshell or 2-in-1, may be underpowered for what you want to do with it.

These are not systems that will handle heavy workloads for hours on end - they're highly portable, lightweight systems with relatively low-performance CPUs that are designed for power efficiency, not heavy throughput.

Also with the 2-in-1, bear in mind it's just about completely non-upgradeable.  The memory and the solid state drives are both permanently soldered onto the system board.   With the clamshell model, you can upgrade the SSD -- with the 2-in-1 you cannot.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions