Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

January 30th, 2023 09:00

XPS 14Z L412Z, eplacement of CMOS battery CR2032-3V-210mAh

XPS 14Z L412Z

XPS 14Z L412Z

My 2011 Dell XPS 14z  give me 5 beeps when if start, I found that it is related to my CMOS battery CR2032-3V-210mAh, as laptop is quite old it seem that CMOS battery discharged.

I believe I need replace CMOS battery.

I opened laptop cover and found that my CMOS battery is quite old and looks like 'wired CMOS CR2032-3V-210mAh' produced in 2012 with 2 pin connecter.

Where can I buy new CMOS battery which is compatible to mine? What is solution to fix my problem with CMOS battery error? May be some CMOS 2-pin adapter?

It seems it is quite a difficult task to cut plastic cover, remove old battery and replace it with new one, is it even possible?

I tried to google it, and I am not sure which battery fit my system, there is no exact match for Dell wired CMOS battery, and I don't want insert something what would burn my CMOS chip. 

I already read DELL manual for replacement of battery for XPS Laptops, and it only says that I need to unplug OLD battery and then plug-in NEW one, but I don't have new one.

See picture of wired CMOS battery:
CR2032-3V-210mAhSmall.jpg

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 30th, 2023 10:00

You can either cut the tape on that one and securely tape the leads to a new CR-2032 battery with dielectric tape, or you can try parts-people.com, amazon, etc. for an exact match replacement.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 30th, 2023 10:00

You may be able to find that exact part, with wires and connector, by searching on-line. I checked with Parts-People (a Dell parts supplier), and unfortunately they don't show that part for your model. However, if you email them and ask, they may have one that fits.

If you're willing to do a little more work, you can use a standard CR2032 coin battery, which are cheaper and widely available. You just need to carefully disassemble the current casing and remove the contacts to reuse on the new battery. I did it recently, so can help you with any questions.

This will give you the idea:
https://youtu.be/Mzr7Mbm1L3k
https://youtu.be/5DdAZrTZjEM

Do NOT solder the contacts to the new battery, even though some videos suggest that. The heat from a soldering gun can easily cause the battery to explode and you could be hurt. I used aluminum tape to fasten the contacts to the battery, then wrapped it in electrical tape.

Whenever touching components or working inside a computer, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. It's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard.

No Events found!