Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2019 00:00

XPS 15 7590 OLED | HDR Support

Screenshot_1.pngThe 4k OLED built-in display on the new 7590 is astounding, but looking deeper into the HDR settings has risen a few questions. Windows has it's own HDR settings (System settings > Windows HD Color settings)  that list three categories of display capabilities. The first one is "Stream HDR video", and that seems to be working perfectly fine. The other two, "Play HDR games and apps" and "Use WCG apps" are labeled as "No". When opening applications on the machine, this is confirmed by HDR not being available as an option.

The official Windows requirements appear to be met by this machine:

- 1080p 300nits or higher (XPS has 4k at 400 nits)

- Integrated graphics with 10-bit video encoding (i7 9th gen is covered, since support for this feature started in 7th gen processors)

- Windows build 1803 or newer (I'm running 18362)

I'd assume that maybe it required a dedicated GPU, but this machine has a GTX1650 in addition to the integrated Intel 630 UHD graphics. NVIDIA control panel had little to offer in this area and I know that the dedicated GPU normally will just pass rendered frames to the integrated graphics, so I checked out what information Intel had to offer.

Intel has a whitepaper on HDR support that, on page 13, shows an overview of what's supported. It lists the 8th gen processors as UHD 620 or better (And again, i'm using UHD 630) so the issue doesn't appear to be there either. Drivers for the processor (MEI, etc.) also appear to be current and above the minimum specifications.

The display is the Samsung SDCA029, so I am certain it's capable with it's Displayport and 10-bit color depth. The drivers for decoding and even Dolby Vision appear to be installed and working.

Perhaps i'm overlooking something small and silly, but I've approached this from multiple angles and haven't quite figured it out yet. Any insight would be wonderful, can't find too much online, and i'd love to run HDR in my applications in addition to just streaming video. On a small side note, I've also noticed color banding between gradients, but i'm pretty sure that's just the hardware and is to be expected.

1 Message

March 5th, 2020 07:00

Any answer to this question? So the laptop can only use HDR on Edge?

Correct.

XPS 15 7590 OLED HDR mode
* HDR mode only works on Microsoft Edge for YouTube/Netflix App
* Windows HD Color Settings =
Stream HDR video Yes (supported)
Play HDR games and apps (not supported)
Use WCG apps (not supported)
DELL-Admin

1 Message

February 16th, 2020 08:00

Me too

1 Message

February 23rd, 2020 01:00

What bit depth could you check on display control panel on the XPS 15 7590 between 8 and 10bit?

No Events found!