Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2022 11:00

XPS 15 7590, WD19TBS, two U2722D not coming on?

I have an out of warranty XPS 15 7590 with a WD19TBS dock and two U2722D monitors courtesy of my company.

And I like to keep my laptop lid CLOSED since the 2 monitors are enough and also huge and take up a lot of space on my desk.

But when I turn my laptop on, the monitors don't come on properly. I can briefly see the dell logo spinning when it turns on, but then it goes away and the monitors go into stand by mode.

And the only way to get them back on is to open the lid (which doesn't open easily without pushing down the back) and log in with the built-in keyboard and then wait for the login screen to go away and only then can I close the lid again and have the monitors come back on.

This is happening on my personal XPS 15 7590 and the Dell Precision 5540 I use for work.

I've tried setting the "close lid" actions in the power settings but it doesn't work.
I've check wake on USB is enabled in the BIOS and similar other settings, but no luck either.

Also, before I got these 2 big monitors, I actually had a dell P2419HC monitor which also connects over USB-C with power and it actually worked great. Although I do recall in the beginning it had some issues but they seemed to have sorted themselves out.

I did use the Support Assist program to check all drivers are up to date on my laptops and the dock and everything seems fine.

If I unplug the dock USB-C cable from my laptop into my work laptop, it also doesn't turn the monitors on even thought the work laptop is already on. I don't want this to confuse the main issue at hand, but it might be related so I thought I'd mention it.

I want to emphasise, that I've read many other similar threads on here but none of them had a solution that works for me.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 12:00

QuintonnRothmann presented the following resolution which fixed the issue =
* Disconnect the power adapter from the WD19TBS
* Press and hold in the WD19TBS power button for 45 seconds which "resets" the WD19TBS

No Events found!