Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2022 13:00

XPS 15 9500 4k Video Playback Problems

I have the Dell XPS 15 9500 4k and have been having issues with streaming 4k video.

Basic spec:
9500 4k Touch Screen
Intel 10750H
16 GB RAM
1650 TI

The Problem:
The laptop is now unable to stream 4k from Netflix/Disney Plus. 4k YouTube video very jerky and unwatchable.

I want to see if anyone else has this problem and go over what Dell has done so far. This is our 4th XPS 15 Laptop we bought for work (this is the only 4k model though). Really like them so this isn’t a “slag off Dell” post. Just wanted to write up where I am with it. Sorry for the long post.

When new (bought in late 2021), this laptop played Netflix 4k films fine using the Netflix app. When you go into Netflix and select a film (say 6 Underground), the info shows its Dolby Vision - Atmos. It played the film in full 4k, HDR etc. This can be checked by pressing CTR, SHIFT, ALT, Q when the film is running to pull up the nerd info from Netflix. Here it shows it’s running in 4k etc. Disney Plus app also worked fine in 4k.

Using Edge browser to open Youtube and run a 4k 60 FPS video was also fine. Stats for nerds showed no dropped frames here, great video smooth playback.

A couple of months on I’m not able to play 4k films in the Netflix app, get Netflix Error U7361-1255-8004CD22. Select the film and the info shows its Dolby Vision – Atmos so it should be able to run in 4k but won’t.

YouTube will play the same 4k 60 FPS video but it's jerky and unwatchable, stats for nerds show its dropping frames constantly.

The only thing that’s changed on the laptop is updating the windows updates and the Dell driver updates. As of writing, ALL bios, driver, windows updates are done.

The Intel Graphics Command Centre says the display is NOT HDCP compatible.

I’ve spoken to Dell, they confirmed the machine is HDCP 2.2 complaint. They thought the motherboard was faulty so sent a tech round to replace it. We replaced the mobo and put in the same Hard Drive and booted it up. Netflix was now able to run a 4k film, but it was jerky, out of sync with the sound and basically unwatchable. YouTube 4k test video was just as bad as it was before. The Intel Graphics Command Centre still says the display is not HDCP compatible.

The Dell Support software found a new bios update for the motherboard, so we flash the bios and install it. Reboot the laptop and now Netflix and Disney Plus won’t play the 4k movies. They throw up the same error codes that mean there’s a problem with HDCP (Disney Plus is error code 39 I think)

I decided to do a full Windows restore and wipe the computer and reinstall windows 11. Fresh install with all the relevant updates and the same problems. Same error codes on Netflix and Disney Plus. Same problem on Youtube 4k video playback.

Dell has offered to replace the laptop but as the 9500 is no longer made, they offered the newer 9510. The problem is they don’t have the 4k screen model so was only able to offer the basic entry model. Whilst I appreciate this, I do need the 4k so as of now I’m waiting for that to become available but it's looking like it will be months before a replacement is offered.

I would be happy to keep my current laptop if there was a way to fix it but as of now, we can't seem to do that.

Does anyone else have this issue or do just have a faulty laptop that needs replacing?

November 3rd, 2022 09:00

Well this is anoying as Netflix, Disney+ and Prime still don’t play in 4k on my laptop! 

All updates done to everything. BIOS 1.19 hasn’t fixed it for me and dealing with dell support is proving more than frustrating. Their WhatsApp team are essentially reading from a flow chart and are possibly the worst technical support team I’ve ever had the misfortune to speak to. Literally repeating myself daily and even to the same person it seems!

Netflix not running above HD:

B53EB1E0-E001-4E75-B68D-51FA130F16A7.jpeg

Disney+ not offering 4k

F409F790-4B90-493E-8D3A-45494A83D8D3.jpeg

Laptop intel app lying about NVidia GPU not being HDCP compliant!

51EFA1E8-A11F-43CE-A8FB-446CA1032FA1.jpeg

54 Posts

November 3rd, 2022 10:00

HI Mike, The bios should have fixed this so can I ask you to check one thing?

Right-click on the desktop and hit Display Settings. Scroll down to the bottom and hit Graphics.

Find the Netflix icon, click it, and hit Options. What is your preference set to? Is it set to “High Performance, GPU: Nvidia GeForce”? If so, then Netflix will only display up to 1080.

If it is set to this then change it to “ Let Windows decide”. This should let the Intel GPU play Netflix and it should then play in 4k (might need a restart).

Let me know if this works.

November 3rd, 2022 11:00

Oh if only that were the issue! I have already set them. 

Now having tried to deal with the utterly useless Dell WhatsApp support team (who start every conversation with ‘What seems to be the issue?’ Followed by ‘’Update drivers’ then ‘Your laptop doesn’t support 4k’, then ‘speak to sales’ 🤯

I’m sat on hold trying to find someone in support who can spell ‘DELL’.

0458FDB1-55B1-41E2-9F54-53E6AE0D6A84.jpeg

54 Posts

November 3rd, 2022 15:00

Talking to Dell is painful indeed.  When I first had this issue a year ago, this was one of the first things I tried as well. On my laptop, if I set these settings to use the Nvidia GPU rather than the Intel one then I could play the movies on Netflix, but only in 1080 HD. If I set it to "Let windows decide", then  Netflix would recognise the film was 4k but throw up the error code when you hit play.  

There may be another setting but sounds like you have tried them, perhaps Dell hasn't quite fixed this issue just yet then  

9 Posts

November 19th, 2022 15:00

It's not fixed on my 7390.

1 Message

February 24th, 2023 17:00

I have an Alienware laptop with the most current bios (1.21) and it doesn't fix my issue.  I paid $4k for this thing and can't do something as simple as watch Netflix in HDR.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

February 24th, 2023 18:00

Can you let me know the Model of the Alienware or send me a Private Message with your Service Tag? We might need to create/move your post to the AW section of the forum. 

No Events found!