Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2020 21:00

XPS 15 9500 All sound plays as static

I need help troubleshooting this issue. Any and all sound comes through the speakers as static. Even the sound when you plug in a device. I tried to connect a speaker via an aux cable but the sound still comes through as static. I have updated all software and updated all drivers. I'm not really sure what to do from here. This laptop is 3 weeks old. 

Here is a video of the static sound: https://youtu.be/Qv7eZbO512A

4 Posts

October 15th, 2020 07:00

A Dell rep has since worked on the laptop. It was a driver that was not automatically updating from the SupportAssist app on the Dell. The Dell rep had to go into the BIOS platform and force install it there. It now works as good as ever. 

2 Posts

December 8th, 2020 05:00

I was having the same problem. Called Dell support and they would not help me because I am currently international so I have to call the international line. The international call center is currently closed so I decided to figure it out on my own and stumbled upon the solution through trial and error. 1) Go to Device Manager 2) Scroll down and click System Devices 3) Scroll again and right click Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED 4) Click uninstall (DO NOT DELETE) 5) Close window and restart PC (it should reinstall upon startup). I hope this helps!

4 Posts

December 19th, 2020 07:00

I have the same issue. In between solution. Go to speaker icon on the taskbar. Click right. Then open solve sound issues. Than click next. Open sound settings. Than turn off sound enhancements.

Sound is now without Maxaudio pro.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 24th, 2020 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

Update = DELL-Cares agent set up a service to replace the touchpad and the speakers.

September 24th, 2020 20:00

Sounds like bad hardware. Return for a refund and buy a new one, this way you know you're getting a fresh one. If you go the repair route could take months.

1 Message

September 26th, 2020 01:00

Having a similar issue, just started tonight. laptop is 4 months old. Was watching a movie, paused it and stepped away, then when I came back all sound from the external speakers was static. Headphones work fine. Paid a lot of money for this laptop, better not be a hardware issue 4 months in. 

2 Posts

November 17th, 2020 14:00

How do I get a technical support to check and fix the static noise coming out of the internal speaker?

4 Posts

November 17th, 2020 19:00

They were already scheduled to come out and fix my track pad so I had them fix the speaker while they were here. Good luck 

7 Posts

November 26th, 2020 16:00

Same issue here, do you more information about how to do it ourselves please ?

December 27th, 2020 05:00

I'm having the same issue, how do I install the update myself?

December 27th, 2020 05:00

Thanks a lot, it works for me!

1 Message

January 3rd, 2021 13:00

Thanks so much for posting this. I've been troubleshooting for hours. Your note was the fix. (On my relatively new XPS15)

January 24th, 2021 13:00

This worked also for me too. Thanks a lot.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2021 19:00

Dell SupportAssist installed the latest Realtek High Definition Audio Driver today (2/5/2021) and caused my new XPS 15 9500 to do the same thing! Nothing but static out the speakers.

Noticed the Waves MaxxAudio Pro was not showing my equalizer settings correctly and could not set to default or my settings... constant static out the speakers!

I did a System Restore to remove the updates and am back working again!

No longer trusting updates until this issue is really fixed!

Driver that created the static: 

Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_NN81G_WIN_6.0.9098.1_A09.EXE
Version 6.0.9098.1, A09
Last Update Date: 03 Feb 2021
File size: 599.07 MB

After performing the System Restore, went back to using the following and it is now working again!

Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_MMW9F_WIN_6.0.9071.1_A07.EXE
Version 6.0.9071.1, A07

1 Message

February 7th, 2021 17:00

I was on the phone for 30 minutes with the place I bought this laptop from and they finally admitted defeat. They were going to transfer me to Dell, but the help line was closed for the day. I googled, came across this and literally it was fixed with one restart. Amazing. Thank you for sharing! 

No Events found!