Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2020 10:00

XPS 15 9500 Intermittent Trackpad Possibly Fixed

I received my XPS 15 9500 in August.  The laptop worked perfectly and I performed all firmware, driver and Windows updates soon after they were released (except the latest NVidea drivers released when their new graphics cards were launched). In late September I started having problems with intermittent trackpad.  Usually it became erratic to control, and occasionally would stop working or disappear.  I tried all the recommended solutions in the troubleshooting guides, etc., fiddled with power settings, video settings, but nothing worked.  I have left all the gestures turned off except the two finger scrolling. A wired mouse worked fine even when the trackpad was acting up.

By accident, I found out that if I closed the lid a few seconds and opened it up (it does not go to sleep), the trackpad would usually function normally again -- at least for a few minutes.  All of the evidence seemed to suggest that the problem was software related and I kept hoping some software update would solve the problem.  I did notice that my trackpad was slightly tilted so that the right button area was a little lower than the palm rest, so there is less travel when you depress it. Also there is a slight clicking when activating the left button. A little annoying, but otherwise it functioned ok when it was working.

Since the intermittent issue was not resolved and a couple of months have passed, I was considering notifying Dell that probably the trackpad was somehow defective, given problems other people have complained about. Then, a couple of days ago I installed the November cumulative update of Windows 10 Version 20H2. Afterward, for the last three days, I have not experienced any more trackpad issues. I do not understand why my trackpad is now behaving but that is my experience.  I hope this helps someone else experiencing trackpad issues.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 4th, 2021 11:00

Update December 15, 2020 = A DELL-Cares agent setup service to replace the touchpad.

3 Posts

November 27th, 2020 08:00

About 4 days after I posted this the intermittent touchpad started up again.  Not sure what changed.

1 Message

December 10th, 2020 19:00

I am also having this issue. Did you find a fix?

No Events found!