Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 11:00

XPS 15 9500 Network micro-cuts both with Killer Wi-Fi and Realtek USB adapter

I recently purchased an XPS 15 9500, 4K Touch and I am pretty happy with it. Except for 1 thing. Network issues.

I've been having recurrent micro-cuts. I've already debugged and found it happens both with Killer Wi-Fi adapter, where it has longer cuts (40s-2min) (doesn't disconnect from network but losses all connectivity), or either dips to kbps speeds and stays there for a while... until I manually dis/connect and then it runs fine for a while more.
But I also got a USB-C hub with a Ethernet adapter, and have tried as well. And it also happens there. The cuts are different though, much shorter (1s long) and carry on working itself without manual input.

I've contacted Dell through WhatsApp, they just pointed to reinstall Beta drivers, try again (tried already), reinstall Windows (haven't done this yet). But since it happens with Ethernet as well, it can't be a Killer problem.

I'm running tests now. Here's one with Killer adapter disabled, only with Ethernet. 5Mbps download continuous. You can see times for uptime and downtime.

Ethernet testEthernet test

Now I've tried uninstalling Killer Control Center altogether, but the same happens.

I will do the same test for Wi-Fi tomorrow, but I've already tried this morning (didn't get screenshot) and the result was way less clean than the Ethernet one, as it doesn't recover quick nor easy.

Really have no idea what might be the problem or what to try to solve it. All I have tried have been driver uninstalls, reinstalls, etc. Doesn't seem to help. Additionally, sometimes, there is no network when coming back from Sleep. In those cases I have to end up dis/connecting manually to recover.

Any help will be super appreciated.

• 

25.1K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 11:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 15:00

I have experienced similar problems with the WiFi on the 9500.  I also have a 7590 running the same software and wifi card with no issues.  To try and isolate the problem I ran the 7590 laptop alongside with PingPlotter and inSSIder open to check for ISP, modem and router issues.  I never detected any issues on the 7590 laptop.  I ran custom Dell Diagnostics multiple times on the 9500 wifi card.  When failures were detected by the diagnostics the Dell Diagnostics it would fail to complete and record the test more than 50% of the time.  With perseverance I was able to get 3 tests recording wireless connectivity and signal strength failures for the wireless network card.  It may be that the diagnostics are flummoxed when the wifi fails. 

I contacted Dell tech support with the reports  and they have authorized replacement of the motherboard. 

55 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 16:00

Interesting. I have experienced regular wireless connection issues. One moment. I am connected, the next, I have no connection. I have a capable mid-range Netgear router about eight away and the signal strength on the task tray is either disconnected or shows weak signal strength. A couple disconnect/reconnect exercises seems to provide a temporary remedy. As we know, Intel now owns Killer. 

16 Posts

August 6th, 2020 00:00

I believe I'm starting to pinpoint the problem. Doing more testing at the moment. 
Found out that everytime there's a connection drop, a system warning is shown. 

https://prnt.sc/tumis2

This is 6062 - Lso was triggered. Source is Netwtw10. No idea what this is, but I looked online and some other user found out this triggered every time his AP switched channels. 

I have gone into my AP, and found that indeed my AP had the channel config in Auto, and on top of that it had a Smart Channel Optimization feature, and it was activated. 

https://prnt.sc/tumklu

I am not sure if this option is the responsible of switching channels on the go, or the "Auto" selector is. I am testing this at the moment. For now I have deactivated the Optimization. If they still change at will, then I will disable the Auto and set them manually. Then, if while manual, WiFi doesn't drop at all, problem found.

Then I will move on to the Ethernet drops (which shouldn't be affected by this but they still exist). 

Anyway, the solution should not be to disable automatic channel switching. That is a useful feature from APs to do, plus I can do this change on my AP, but not everywhere I will be connecting with my laptop. 

But maybe telling you this, you can find a proper solution to this adapter which has issues when it detects a channel switch. This is an adapter problem now, and should be covered by warranty unless you can do a software fix somehow without limiting my features. 

I will keep you informed. 

16 Posts

August 6th, 2020 00:00

Ok, WiFi now is completely solved when setting the channels to manual. 

https://prnt.sc/tuwm26 9h straight, this had never happened before. I have contacted Killer support as well to report this so they can find a solution for this. If you have some suggestion to solve it from the Killer adapter configuration, let me know, as I cannot apply this solution in any other network that is not my home one. 

Now, about the Ethernet USB adapters, this then seems to be a different problem. There are no channel changes there, but it still suffers from very short cuts. This was yesterday trying with WiFi fixed channel (to make sure it wasn't causing it), and there were still this drops of 1s every once in a while. I checked the Event Viewer for this case and it shows a BROWSER event each time it happens, with the description shown in the picture. 

https://prnt.sc/tuwofx

Can you help me find what is triggering this events? Thank you. 

55 Posts

August 6th, 2020 14:00

I am curious if you took this issue directly to Killer (support website), what type of response they would provide. There are TWO WiFi chipsets for the 9500. One current and one forthcoming. Found this in the 9500 specifications PDF. The response I received from Killer, had no idea there were two versions. 

7 Posts

August 6th, 2020 14:00

The internet connectivity issues may be both hardware and software related.  My initial failures occurred first day while I was burning in the laptop.  When I was able to complete a component test documenting failure, the wireless network adapter reported OK signal strength test  and No Connection for the wireless connectivity, wireless signal strength, network link, local network communication, internet communication, and data transfer verification tests.  Subsequent tests reported non connection for the wireless connectivity tests.   Dell has agreed to replace the motherboard.

In the meantime  I re-configured my tri-band WiFi router, and renamed each of the SSIDs with unique names and locked down the WiFi channel for each SSID.  I connected the laptop to one of the 5 GHz channels and have not had minimal issues since then.  These changes have resulted in much more stable connectivity.  I do get pop-up messages from KIller WiFi that it wants to change connections.    While I was writing this reply, I noted this machine went into "no internet connection" status on the taskbar, so I believe there is still and intermittent hardware issue.  

• 

25.1K Posts

August 17th, 2020 11:00

Hi, 

We haven't heard back from you yet. Feel free to reach out to us at your convenience, we are here to help.

-Prajesh

16 Posts

August 31st, 2020 12:00

I was having similar "sow" issues with the Killer wireless in my new XPS 13 9300.  Finally figured out this issue was power-settings-related.  With Windows 10 2004 (maybe earlier?)  the only available power plan is the "Balanced" plan with only a couple of settings.  Had to modify the registry to gain access to the wireless card power settings.  Once I change the on-battery setting to match the on-AC power setting (essential full power all the time), the wireless has worked perfectly.  I have a post about what I did - XPS9300VA on 8-28-20.  Be careful editing the registry!!!

1 Message

October 19th, 2020 22:00

Only had same computer for 3 months. Constant issues. Updated modem ext. and internet connectivity still issue. Thanks for post. They are trying to tell me its software and I have to pay for it to be looked at. Brand new computer. I shouldn't be liable. Givin other issues. Its definitely not just software. Reinstalling windows as I am typing. Such bs.

No Events found!