Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

11 Posts

March 28th, 2023 00:00

XPS 15 9520, conferencing audio issue

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

I have seen a number of previous posts on audio issues but all slightly different to what I am experiencing.

I have an issue with my audio devices when I join a teams or zoom call. Audio works fine before and when joining, sometimes it even works for around a minute but more recently since the latest updates it doesn't work at all. This applies to my wireless headset, wired headset, Bluetooth headphones / apple airpods. It even applies to my Webcam, this works fine for video but is not there to be selected as an audio microphone. Basically there are no selectable audio devices once the call starts.

I have had this issue for a number of months, I have all the latest windows and dell updates, nothing has resolved this.

No obvious issues in device manager and I have tried a number of different (new and old) headphones, some plugged into the dock others USB C direct in the machine but it makes no difference.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 28th, 2023 08:00

If you have not gone to the Teams forum and asked them, you might try that.

Your situation seems to be strictly related to online type meetings.  All I can suggest is you start watching the performance of your system, during these situations.  The Task Manager is one utility you might keep open to watch such things as network bandwidth or other processes that might be slowing your system.

Do you run the Headset voice,music or just the voice version of a headset?

Does it make any difference if you are using a plug-in device or Bluetooth?

Is the Dock always on the system, with or without a headset being used?

Updates can cause a need for reinstalling audio drivers.

March 29th, 2023 01:00

Thanks for coming back to me, as you say its not just Teams, its any online meeting. It seems to remove all the audio devices when running an online meeting. I have removed and reinstalled all the audio drives manually. I do always use a dock but recently tried without the dock with a USB C Logitech headset directly into the PC with the same issue. I have also tried Bluetooth audio devices these have the same issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 30th, 2023 12:00

You have done quite a bit of testing, which seems to eliminate the device you are using.

Do you know what quality the microphone is using and one or two channels?  I don't really understand why there is not a 1 channel option for a microphone.

Have you tried using the Recorder, on your system, to verify the Online only situation?

You might do a quick test to make sure the computer's speakers are disabled.  I normally tap close to the microphone holes.

What does Waves show for the Microphone during these times?  I suppose the volume drops or stops completely, at some point?

Those apps are allowed to use the Microphone?

If your system is actually removing audio devices, it might be due to a problem with the data being corrupted.  When the microphone is working, does the audio sound normal coming in as well as out?  

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 30th, 2023 12:00

Can you let me know if after you start having the issue, that if you go to Device Manager that the audio devices actually disappear too?

To test this, you can open Device Manager after a fresh restart/reboot, expand: sound, video, and game controllers section, join Zoom meeting and then either wait for it to error out or even Exit the Zoom meeting. I believe you might start seeing the devices start disappear, and then once you join another meeting it will come up with the error no audio devices.    

Can you also let me know what BIOS version the system is on? 

March 30th, 2023 13:00

Thanks for your help and suggestions, after some testing the device does not disappear from Device manager however it is interesting that if you have device manager live on screen sometimes it auto refreshes (then the audio fails). I was able to end my teams call, go onto you tube, listen to some audio, rejoin my teams call and it worked fine. Dropped in and out of a few test calls.... waited for device manger to visually refreshed and audio crashed out again.

For info my audio devices are Logitech H820e, Logitech webcam C922 Pro Stream. Alternative headset is a Logitech H650e and Apple AirPod Pro. I am running Windows 11 (with all the latest patches and Dell drives as i keep hoping one of them will resolve the issue. Bios version is 1.11.0 i did have this issue with the previous bios.

After talking with Dell support I tried removing all the audio devices from device manager as well as the realtek audio and also tried reinstalling with the driver from Dell.

Sadly the issue still seems to be here.

March 30th, 2023 14:00

Thanks for your help, I have not yet tried recorder, i will try this. For info my audio devices are Logitech H820e, Logitech webcam C922 Pro Stream. Alternative headset is a Logitech H650e and Apple AirPod Pro.

I have just looked at waves and it says current default playback device is not supported so it does not register anythings. The apps are allowed to use the microphone as they have worked, sometimes even work for about 30 seconds on a call before saying there is a problem with the audio device and only a restart of the machine clears this.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 30th, 2023 15:00

Thanks for the updates, can you uninstall all audio drivers for Realtek and then see if you can install this older audio driver at this link  (it will probably say this is an older driver etc. but just let it install). Once this is installed, let me know if it changes any of the behavior on the system. 

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

May 14th, 2023 13:00

no resolution hey. Same as with my audio issues with voice/video chatting apps on my XPS 15 9520. I have had 3 all with the same issue. I think its a piece of hardware they decided to use in these laptops. The support team even told me they can reproduce the same issue on their test units and then told me it is the normal functioning of this laptop. Essentially told me to kick rocks. I have been working with them for 5 months trying to find a solution. 

May 22nd, 2023 00:00

Thanks, good (or maybe not) to know. I had my motherboard replaced and it has helped but i do still get the issue, it does seem that closing the program and reopening solves this most of the time whereas before I had to restart the machine and hope, which worked about 75% of the time.

Do you have any thing i can add to my support ticket so that these issues could be linked and reviewed together ?

Out of interest are you using a Dock for your Laptops ?

May 22nd, 2023 00:00

As an update I tried complete reinstall of windows using a fresh (non Dell) version and tried all the different firmware / driver versions. None of this worked so I have had a new motherboard in my laptop. This has helped but not fully solved the issue.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2023 23:00

Experiencing the same issues described above with my XPS 15 9520; I primarily use MS Teams; sometimes, audio comes back after a few seconds, but in most cases, audio remains broken; stopping and restarting the windows audio service helps in some cases and only for a limited amount of time, and other times, audio seems to recover by itself as a later Teams call works properly. Tried different driver versions as suggested, did not change anything.

I have the impression that events causing system sounds during conferencing (e.g. incoming e-mail) might have to do with the issue.

I usually am connected to a WD19 dock, but have experienced the issue when disconnected from the dock too.

In the event log, I see crashes of "C:\Windows\system32\AUDIODG.EXE", failed modules are either "C:\Windows\System32\RPCRT4.dll" or "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll"

July 3rd, 2023 01:00

Having the same issues. Also tried to replace docks. I've noticed that the Intel Iris XE drivers on the 12th Gen Intel CPU's (which the 9520 has), have a lot of issues. With some software vendors I've debugged this a lot. I've noticed this issue, with conferencing happend after updates from my Intel support assist. The Intel Iris XE driver updated as well.

I've downgraded the Intel Iris XE driver to the version of Dell Support Assist (which is older) and testing if this solves the issues.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2023 21:00

Thanks for sharing this, did you have any luck with the downgrade?

July 5th, 2023 01:00

I can confirm that I was able to resolve the issues by downgrading the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver to version 31.0.101.4146 (dated 22/02/2023). I'm quite excited because the crashes were happening consistently in every meeting (Teams, Zoom, Google Meet, Zoho Meet), but I managed to complete an hour-long meeting without any crashes this morning.

Another observation I made is that when I set the NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti GPU as the preferred graphics adapter in the NVIDIA Control Panel, the fan doesn't produce as much noise compared to when I use the Intel Iris Xe Graphics adapter.

I have configured the preferred NVIDIA GPU for the following applications:

• Microsoft Teams
  • Zoom
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Google Chrome

To set the preference, I accessed the NVIDIA Control Panel and went to Manage 3D Settings [TAB: Program Settings].

July 6th, 2023 01:00

Stil experience little hiccups in the audio. Less than before. It's a driver/firmware thing for sure.

No Events found!