Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2018 05:00

XPS 15 9550, Problems after Windows 10 April Update, Black Screen

Hi,
I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 Laptop which has just been subjected to a Windows 10 April 2018 update yesterday, which appeared initially to have loaded without problems, and the computer continued to behave as normal.  I then shut down for the night.
However this morning, after initially booting normally, it opened with a MS Edge window which was blank and apparently trying to download something. No response on screen to any key press. After leaving it hanging for a minute, I pressed Ctl+Alt+Del and Task Manager started, but greyed out.  No response on screen to any key press, so I closed the computer down by holding down the Power button.  Hard disk stopped.
On starting up again, screen displayed Dell logo in middle and a series of checking messages in top left corner of the screen.  After about 20 seconds I heard the normal Windows start-up noise, but black screen except for the mouse cursor as a small circle, which I could move OK.  No response on screen from pressing any key, including Ctl+Alt+Del.
I have repeated the shut down /start up sequence a number of times, but still get the same result.

Does anyone have a recommended fix for this?

BIOS Version 1.7.0  Service Tag
As far as I know all automatic Dell firmware updates are up to date.

(I am typing this on my wife's computer which has not yet had the current Windows 10 update, as I cannot access my Dell laptop.)
Regards,
Maurice Clarke

1 Message

June 17th, 2018 07:00

I had the same issue for some days now! Rolling back my current integrated graphics driver to previous Intel Driver Version 22.20.16.4836 (Driver Date: 10/17/2017) fixed it for me for some reason.

Regards,

Praveena.

9.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 07:00

Hi MIClarke,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

We have a team that is gathering information about this issue and sending it to Microsoft.

Could you please contact me by Private Message and include the following information?
Name
Address
City, State, Postal Code
Country
Telephone Number
Email Address
Service Tag Number
BIOS Version
Driver Version

Thanks.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 09:00

Hi, Robert,

Info sent by private message.

Regards,

Maurice Clarke

3 Posts

May 24th, 2018 05:00

Hi, Robert,
The only part of the system that I am able to access is the BIOS during initial bootup using one of the function keys.
I ran the ePSA or PSA Diagnostics on the computer hardware, and this gave no faults or error messages.

From doing a bit of browsing on Google, I see that other people are also having problems with this update.  I get the impression that it is likely to be some sort of conflict with the display drivers.  I have connected an external screen to the laptop via an HDMI cable.  This connects OK, but displays exactly the same as on the laptop screen, a small rotating circle, which I can move via mouse or track pad.

Is here any way I can determine which drivers are installed, either via the BIOS, or some other way of not using Windows?  Old DOS system maybe?
Do you know if there is any way that I can revert to the previous version of Windows 10, possibly by booting from a USB stick?
Regards,
Maurice Clarke.

1 Message

May 27th, 2018 00:00

the same problem with my dell inspiron 3542,after the april update,the screen is black at startup and a loading cursor pointer with mouse functioning,no response,please fix this

1 Message

May 28th, 2018 15:00

I had the same problem after the update following the boot and before windows appears it immediately goes to black screen. I ran ever scan tool recommended from the command prompt, the only place I can get to and no hardware errors were found. Used you media creation tool and I worked for 5 min and while in setting it went to black screen again. Redid the reset NG Reformatted the drive and did the reset NG. Tried to do the reset wipe failed. This is killing me, I use this in my business everyday and I'm totally out of business. Its a brick and only 1 1/2 years old. Looking online We're not the only ones!

Inspiron 5759 Change product

Bios 1.4.1

May 29th, 2018 04:00

I'm facing a similar issue. My workaround for now is to boot Windows in safe mode, go to Device Manager, uninstall Intel HD display drivers and restart computer. The Windows will load up fine the next time.

Note that Windows will automatically reinstall Intel HD drivers after restart. If you happen to shut down / restart computer again, the black screen issue is back.

May 30th, 2018 13:00

Hi discosultan

thank you for your feedback. Can you please share on what system/model you experience the issue?

You can also PM me with the system SVCTAG.

-B

#IWork4Dell

6 Posts

June 1st, 2018 03:00

Same issue here on my XPS 15 9560... It seems to be the NVidia Display driver, because when i deactivate the NVidia graphics in device manager it works... But I haven't bought the Dell XPS 15 to just use the Intel graphics...

9 Posts

June 1st, 2018 06:00

Either Intel driver or latest Nvidia driver is causing that issue.
I installed the latest Intel graphic driver and it resulted in black screen. When I install the latest Nvidia driver I get the same error.

Also the error may vary. Sometimes it's a black screen. Sometimes it's impossible to switch to the Nvidia card, even when forced.

Also when I had black screen after the Intel driver update I plugged in a external monitor at the HDMI port. Then I got a picture on the external monitor. There I saw several errors regarding "failed to initialize Intel HD driver" (or similar).

This workaround won't work every time, also it happened that the screen kept black.

June 3rd, 2018 03:00

I couldn't figure out how to send a PM. Anyway, my service tag is .

Thanks for looking into the issue!

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 22:00

dell-robert p could we also contact you via PM regarding that problem? So your team can gather more information about that problem.

I hope that gets fixed soon as I'm unable to use my Dell XPS 15 in that state.

June 6th, 2018 14:00

I'm having the same issue here.

Performed a Factory Recover using USB Recovery Media and run all the drivers and Windows updates.

XPS 15 9560 - i7-7700HQ - 16GB - 512 NVMe Samsung PM961 - 4K monitor

Windows 10 Home 1803

BIOS 1.9.4

Intel HD Graphics 630 23.20.16.4973

NVIDIA GTX 1050 24.21.13.9811

THE POWER CORD BEEN CONNECTED MATTERS!!! YES, IT IS VERY BIZARRE!!!

Scenario #1 - WITHOUT the power cord connected (battery only), I boot the system and Dell's bright logo pops on. Few seconds later, the Windows login screen is presented. Mouse works, keyboard works, screen looks great. Any of the three authentications methods works: typing Password, typing PIN or fingerprint reader. After 2-3 seconds, the desktop appears and 20 seconds later the laptop is ready. I can use it on battery power or reconnecting the power cord, it doesn’t matter anymore. The battery charges normally.

Scenario #2 - WITH the power cord connected (the original 14 months old that came in the box), everything goes the same until I authenticate. Sometimes I get a black screen where nothing works but the mouse with some “loading circle” on it. Some other times the “loading” after login freezes and nothing works. Sometimes the desktop pops and I can briefly do something, but it gets to the same black screen again.

I’ve verified the power options to see if there is a different setting between Battery or A/C Power and they are exactly the same.

Once Windows works after a crash, it shows a “Failed to initialize display driver” notification.

Have tried remove both Intel and NVIDIA drivers, didn´t work. Have tried to update them both to the latest version, didn’t work.

It’s very frustrating deal with this kind of issue in a $1600+ device that was supposed to deliver a premium experience, especially because it’s a recurrent problem with graphic card.

Once again, here I am spending my precious time troubleshooting my system and crawling thru support posts. I won’t recommend Dell’s XPS laptops anymore.

5 Posts

June 9th, 2018 14:00

Finally decided to perform the update and am now unable to work as I am experiencing the exact same issue... 

I can't remember any update that went smoothly on this machine it's quite impressive...

Tried a couple variation while starting up too and it seems that having HDMI and/or power cord have their impact

No Events found!