Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2018 13:00

XPS 15-9560, CPU stuck at 0.78 GHz

Hi!

It has been less than a year since I've got my XPS 15-9560 and I've recently noticed horrible performance after Windows and BIOS updates. I decided to look at my CPU in the Task Manager and I saw that it said =
Speed: 0.78 GHz
Base Clock: 2.8 GHz

I then ran the Dell diagnostics tool that didn't find anything. But while it was running, I had the Task Manager open and saw that my CPU didn't pass 28% utilization. I did some kick math (28 / 100 * 2,8) which equaled 0.78. I took a look at the forums but there wasn't anybody who had a concrete answer. I hope you could help me!

c2.PNG

Sorry for my English, I'm French.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick

December 22nd, 2018 10:00

Finally fixed it.

* Open the Dell Power Manager Service and make sure the Thermal Management setting is not set to Quiet/Silent. Set it to Cool on battery and Ultra performance using the external AC power adapter
* In some cases, this gets fixed after disconnecting the battery for a minute. You must open the bottom panel following the online service manual instructions

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

November 25th, 2018 04:00

Go into setup (f2 at powerup).  Does the system identify its AC adapter, or does that show "unknown"?

November 25th, 2018 05:00

Thanks but I can't find it :(

If it is helpful, i can see the light indicator, and my computer is charging fine!

1 Message

November 26th, 2018 04:00

I have the same problem,

Dell XPS 9560, bought one year ago. Not used very often but now i use it as my primary notebook and I have the strange cpu behavior :

If the notebook is cold I can run prime95 for 30 minutes at 3.4 Ghz.

If i run a game like Overwatch at medium-high settings the cpu slows after ca. 30 minutes down to 2.5 Ghz.

Now I have encoded videos in Premiere CC with CPU only and the files are exported with 3.4 Ghz and GPU Rendering works fine with 1050 at max. 65 degree.

But after that rendering, my cpu goes to 3.4 Ghz in idle and if i put load on it, it stucks at 2 Ghz and falling even more.

The CPU temps are fine, only 60 degree and the fans at minimum speed.

Yesterday my CPU stucks an 800Mhz! and I did a repasting, its now better, but not good.

I think the problem are not cpu or gpu, but the VRMs are getting too hot and CPU can´t get speed although the temps are very low!

After shutdown and waiting some time, CPU can be used again at 3.4 Ghz.

December 21st, 2018 12:00

I have the same problem on my XPS 15-9560 - CPU stuck at .78GHz.  Was good for about 8 months and now it has become unusable.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 21st, 2018 16:00

@phaniprasad wrote:

I see the same problem on my xps 9560 - CPU stuck at .78GHz.  Was good for about 8 months and now it has become unusable.

What version of BIOS and version of Windows?

When it's running slowly, reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. What do these entries in BIOS show?

1. Current Clock Speed
  2. Minimum Clock Speed
  3. Maximum Clock Speed

Then check the status of these options in BIOS setup:

1. Multi Core Support
  2. Intel SpeedStep (If enabled, processor clock speed and core voltage are adjusted dynamically based on the processor load.)
  3. Intel TurboBoost
  4. HyperThread control

All should be enabled, but you might try disabling SpeedStep in BIOS setup. Save the change and exit setup, but don't change anything else... Does that help?

And if you're under warranty, you may want to contact Dell Tech Support.

December 22nd, 2018 06:00

Thanks!

I have since contacted customer support and they have replaced my motherboard and now everything is working!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2018 16:00

Sounds like BIOS got "confused" and needed to be reset by removing the battery.

Glad you got it sorted. :Yes:

May 11th, 2019 09:00

finally i can say goodbye to throttlestop! thank you!!

is this the end of all the pain?

No Events found!